his unfathomable girl

It was a cool, breezy night.  The dark blue sky was  embellished with dazzling stars. Overall, it was just like any other ordinary Saturday evening. Most ordinary, normal people would be spending the night at home. Doing whatever they’d feel like doing.  Be it watching sappy movies, playing video games or even read a book. Everyone has some kind of a penchant, a normal passion   to do something. Well, everyone but Valencia. She spends every Saturday evening at the cemetery.  It’s the same old story. Valencia at the cemetery, with a rose In her hand and tears in her eyes. Isolation resides deep within her heart. Something that she’s always been used to. It’s a routine.  No one knows her story, her name, her age. She’s a mystery, an unfathomable woman by choice.

The dark moonlight was the only source of scintillation in the quiet cemetery. There, a woman in long blue dress sat beside the two tombs. With two roses in her palms, she gently placed it on the tombs. Her fingers gently caressed the wordings on it. “Jacqueline Maria Fernando”, and “Marcos George Fernando”, It read.  Valencia sighed in sorrow. That day was the tenth anniversary since that incident occurred. She’s spent a decade now, trying to eradicate the repeating memories from her sunken soul. It haunted her day and night, when she was sleeping, standing,  crying..whatever she did, it always flashed by.

Just like that, she stood there frozen. Thinking about the memories again was making her heart beat accelerate, her palms turned sweaty. Its like a demon that will always haunt her. Perhaps, she deserved it, she thought. After all, she did play a part in that accident. It was all because of her. She was the reason why two souls passed on, she was also the reason why her world became so convoluted.            The guilt-the pain-it will always be a part of her.

Tears formed in her eyes but not a single one was shed. She was immune to it. After all, pain was her best friend and her only companion. Every one that she knew left her in her own isolation and destruction after that incident had happened. Left her to face the repercussions alone.  A shell of her previous self, she lets no one in. What is  the purpose when all they will do is hurt you further and leave you? As the saying goes,  once beaten twice shy.  

She closed her eyes for a moment, absorbing the silence around her. Silence was the only remedy that gave her peace. Silence was the only beauty that she now knew. The sky was darkening further and it was time to go home. She glanced at the tombs one last time. “Sorry..I love you mom and dad.”, she whispered in an imperceptible voice and quickly walked towards her car.

After reaching home, she went straight to the bathroom for a quick shower. Dull, ivory walls and tiles greeted her. Her lifeless house reflected her original personality, she thought. After showering, she found herself staring at the mirror, at her. Who was this? She didn’t know. A stranger stared back at her. Pale, ivory skin, dark brown hair, worn out dark blue eyes, and full rosy lips stared back at her. The woman was beautiful, but cold and lifeless. The woman’s eyes, her eyes, were basically dead, she scrutinized. With a shrug, she left the bathroom and headed straight to bed. This was her routine every Saturday night, and only Saturday night. The only time she set aside to grieve and to be her true self.

The next day would be Sunday and thinks would be back to normal, she thought bitterly. As  a twenty five year old art teacher, she was busy with teaching every other weekday. However, Sunday was a day when she specially set aside for helping others, even with good intention comes the bad part…a day when she has to unwillingly spend time with him.