Higher Ground

CHAPTER 14 - A Memory

"I need to get us to higher ground. The water is still risin'." I said as I looked out of the attic window. I turned to face Mary Beth. She sat on the floor with her legs folded.

"How are we gonna do it? Swim?" She answered sarcastically.

"Just trust me."

"I really shouldn't, but for some crazy reason I do trust you, Britt." Mary Beth said quietly after she stood to face me. "Get me out of here."

I suddenly felt completely responsible for this woman. I knew I would do whatever it took to keep her safe and get her out of this attic. Our best bet would be to get to Uncle Seth's. The ground was a little higher on that side of town and would be safer. "C'mon."

I opened the attic door and slid the ladder down into the water. The water had risen to meet the ladder halfway. "It's gotta be up to my chest!" Mary Beth sqeaked.

"I'll go down first. Hold the ladder, Mary Beth."

When I made it to the water, I whistled. I thanked God for giving me that horse when he slowly stepped in the door way. "C'mere Apache!" He did as he was told without fighting me, for the first time ever. I grabbed his halter and pulled him closer to me. I swung onto the saddle and motioned for Mary Beth. Slowly and carefully, she made her way down to me.

"Give me your hand."

"Don't let me fall." Her voice was dry. I knew she was fighting the fear that was creeping on her. So was I. I grabbed her arm and moved my foot out of the stirrup so she could use it to steady herself when she jumped over from the ladder.

Not very gracefully, she made it across from the ladder to Apache's back and I grabbed her. She squirmed around until she was sitting behind me. I kicked Apache and he started out of the now very flooded house. "When he steps down from the porch the water will probably be at our knees, just hold on."

"I am." Mary Beth said as she gribbed me so tight around my chest that it was a little hard to breathe.

Apache slowly stepped off the porch and to the ground. I heard Mary Beth squeal as the cool water covered her legs. The wind picked up again and I grabbed my hat. As much as had already happened, I would be very mad if the wind took my hat. Mary Beth squeezed tighter and it felt like I could feel her fear.

I felt Mary Beth shiver and kicked Apache again. It was hard to kick with my legs under water, but I had to. I had to get us out of here. The wind was chilly, and even more so since we were both soaking wet from the rain. It showed no signs of slacking up anytime soon.

Apache was breathing so loud by the time we made it back to town it sounded like he was snorting. I knew he was tired. He was carrying two people and walking in water that was almost to his back. The water wasn't as high in town, but that was only because the ground was higher. The water was still rising. From town it was about 20 minutes to Uncle Seth's. I was sure they were planning an escape by now. The water had to be completely flooding the house. The sand bags aren't much help if the water is higher than they are.

"Where are we gonna go?" Mary Beth finally broke the silence.

"To my Uncle Seth's. That's where we've been stayin'."

"How much longer til we get there?"

"Soon."

Hopefully.

The water was just at the brim of the sand bag circle we'd made earlier. Apache was only knee deep in the water now and I knew he was thankful for the rest, however long it may be. I let him loose in the pasture and walked towards the house. I'd left Mary Beth inside to keep her out of the wind and the rain. The down pour had slacked a little and I hoped it would soon stop.

"The water shouldn't rise too much higher." Paw said as I got close to the house. He was perched on a stump that sat next to the porch. The porch roof was wide enough that it kept the rain off him. When I met his eyes, I saw something I'd never really noticed before. He didn't look like the old man I'd always assumed him to be. I could see his youth in his face and body by the way he was sitting there on that stump, smoking his cigarette.

"Mary Beth's house is probably all under water by now."

"You did right, boy. I'm proud of ya." Paw said quietly. I nodded at him and took a seat in one of the wooden chairs on the edge of the porch. Paw turned to face me. "We had a flood out on Hope Plain when you were a boy."

"Really?" I didn't remember a flood.

"Yep. You were 'bout 2 or a little older. I was out huntin' when the rain started. It got so bad so fast. We were jus' gonna wait out the rain before we tried to head back in case we saw some game, but the river found us."

"What do you mean?"

Paw took a long draw off his cigarette and smiled. "The river flooded real quick and caught us. Your Uncle John was with me."

"I thought ya'll didn't get along that well." I said, but more in a questioning tone. I had always noticed Paw look at Uncle John in a funny way whenever he came around with Aunt Elizabeth. I couldn't put my finger on it, but it always seemed Paw held a grudge of some sort against Uncle John.

"That's a story I really don't wanna get into, Britt." Paw's voice was stern and I saw it. I saw that same look in his eyes that he would have around Uncle John. It disappeared as soon as it had come, but I saw it.

"Yes, Sir." I knew better than to pester Paw about something that would get him riled up. I've seen Paw mad. I've seen him really mad, and he killed someone. I swore I'd never tell Mama about it, and I never have. I never will tell, because I was just as much involved.

When I was 15, I went to West Wood. I was alone and it was the first time I met Hannah. I cringed at the memory. When I walked inside the saloon, I'd gone in expectations of something Paw had said earlier that day. I didn't understand the remark then like I do now. He had made a comment to Mama about how all the prettiest women around worked in that saloon. I didn't know he was making a refference to my Mama. I went in looking for the pretty women.

There was only one.

Hannah.

I had three shots of whiskey and since it was my first time to drink, I was feeling it. I stumbled my way across the saloon with my 4th shot in hand. I sat at a table and started to scope the place. That was when I saw Hannah. Her long blonde hair was what caught my attention. It fell in waves down her back and I silently willed her to turn around.

Hannah was standing against the bar with her left hand on her hip and her right arm was on the bar, holding an empty glass. I watched for a few minutes before she turned around. Her fair skin was dotted with faint freckles and her eyes were the brightest green I'd ever seen in my life. I thought she was the most beautiful woman I'd ever laid eyes on.

"Britt?" Mary Beth called to me from the doorway, snapping me out of the memories. I stood and faced her. Then I realized, the most beautiful woman I'd ever laid eyes on was standing right in front of me.

Hannah was now just a memory.