The Run-In: Abby & Alyssa

Abby

The Capitol anthem began. It was time to show the fallen.

First was Glimmer from District 1. That was odd. She's a career. Then there was Nathan, District 6, and then the sky went dark.

That's when I saw her, Alyssa. Well, actually, she saw me.

Alyssa

Abby was watching me. "I'm not gonna hurt you," I said.

"Why not?" she asked.

"I want to be your ally."

"Why me?"

"Because you're clever. And determined."

Abby

The first few days were nice. Alyssa and I hunted together. Well, she hunted and I gathered.

We made a great team.

Two more had died. Andrea from District 6 and Henry from District 9.

Alyssa

It was my fault. It was my idea to split up.

*          *          *

Abby and I had decided we should stock up on food. I thought that spliting up would give us an advantage. But I was wrong.

*             *            *

I had lost her. I called her name. Then I heard a faint whistle from a mockingjay...Abby

I ran through the woods until I came upon a clearing. Abby was caught in a net. I quickly untied her. But not before Marvel had thrown his spear. It pierced her through her heart.

I felt the tears falling. But my reflexes overcame my emotions. And my arrow hit him in the neck. Marvel was my first kill.

*         *         *

I sang her to sleep. To death. Then I cried. I felt like I had lost Prim. Abby was gone. FOrever.

*            *           *

But then surprisingly, President Kat Kelley's voice boomed within the arena.

"Hello tributes. There are currently 18 of you left. Because this is far more than we expected, I believe a rule change is in order."

A rule change? What kind of rule change?

"If the last two tributes left are from the same district, they will both be named victors. That is all."

The arena fell silent. Not even the birds chirped. Until I started to cry. And then I mumbled, "Peeta."