You'll Always Be Mine - Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen – Aftermath

Summer’s POV

After a few seconds of trying, my eyes flicked open and I immediately winced from the bright light. “Summer?” My mum’s worried voice floated through the room. “Honey, are you okay?” she asked, stroking my hair.

It took a minute for my vision to focus properly. My parents were sitting beside me; Mum’s eyes were red and puffy. Henry was standing at the end of the bed but no Lewis.

Frowning, I tried to remember what happened after the struggle. “What happened?” I whispered. The dull ache in my stomach was getting worse.

Dad took my hand. “Do you remember anything, sweetheart?”

“I remember the fight and Chantelle had a gun.” Everything suddenly came flooding back as soon as I stopped talking. I was shot. Then there was another three. I gasped, my eyes filling with tears. “Becca?”

“Shh,” Mum cooed, “she’s fine. Only family were allowed in until you woke up. Becca’s in the waiting room with Lewis and his parents.”

“She’s completely fine?” I questioned. “Nothing happened to her?”

Mum shook her head. “Becca’s absolutely fine.”

“What about Chantelle and Clover?” If he got away then I was shot for nothing.

A doctor walked in and smiled. “Hello, Summer, how are you feeling?” She started fussing over the IV that was stuck in my hand. "Any pain?”

“A little in my stomach.”

“Okay, I can increase the morphine slightly and make you more comfortable. You were very lucky, you know, the bullet just missed anything important,” she said with a grin. Lucky that Chantelle was such a crap aim. I should have never allowed Becca to leave the gun down there; I should have taken it back.

“When can I go home?”

The doctor shook her head, smiling. “They all ask that. We’ll see how you’re doing tomorrow but I want to keep you in again tonight. I’ll come back and check on you in a bit,” she told me, scribbling something down on the chart before leaving.

Again? How long had I been in here for? “What’s the time, Mum?”

“Almost four in the afternoon.”

“How long have I been here?”

“You were in surgery at half past four and we got here shortly after. Summer what were you thinking?”

“Dawn,” Dad hissed. “Not now.”

“It’s okay, Dad.” I was expecting that at some point so I would rather get it over with. A knock at the door ended my apology before I could even start. Lewis’ face peered around the corner, followed by his parents and Becca. Lewis looked stressed but as soon as he saw I was okay he his shoulders relaxed. His face turned from concern to anger though.

“Are you okay?” Becca asked as she sat at by my feet.

“Yeah. What happened to Clover and Chantelle?”

Becca half grinned. “She shot him, three times. He’s in this hospital. She didn’t mean to shoot you, she was aiming for him but missed in the struggle.”

I felt relieved when Becca told me Chantelle didn’t mean to hurt me. That meant she wasn’t lost, and wasn’t going to end up like Rose. My face dropped though when I realised what Becca had just said. He’s in the hospital. “He’s here?”