✙ Chapter 29 ✙

Hey!

Sorry for the slow update! Hope you guys enjoy the chapter - I'm not sure how I feel about it! Thanks for reading!

~Lissa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next day, it was my favorite weather.

The whooshing of the rain against the windows and the trembling shingles of the roof awoke most people. It was one of those days where when you peeked out your window, the cement was soaked and covered with squiggly worms, mini pools were created in potholes, and the smell of nature lifted everything off your shoulders. While everybody shuffled around the place, preparing for another long day, I was seated at one of the granite counters in the kitchen. I stared out the nearest window, admiring the dark clouds hovering above, reminding me of the mud-fights with my brother when we were younger. Speaking of him, he was seated next to me, chewing a piece of bacon as he watched the people around him, cautiously. Whenever somebody dared to look his direction, he tensed up and scowled.

I cleared my throat. "Nobody is going to hurt you."

"You may trust them, but I don't," he responded, swallowing. "They're werewolves - they're known to be unpredictable." I exhaled loudly, realizing he was starting to talk like our father again. I picked up my glass of orange juice and took a sip, hearing him chewing vigorously away at his bacon. Honestly, I was surprised he even accepted food from them, considering how untrustworthy he believed they were. "Nora, we can still fix this; everything could go back to the way it was if we leave tonight. I mean, we'll - "

"Drop it," I interrupted, harshly. I faced him in my stool, wiping my mouth with the back of my hand. "I understand that you're trying to look out for me, but I want you to just shut the f*ck up about leaving, okay? It's not happening - while you don't like the people here, I do. Something big is coming and I'm not abandoning them; I'm not abandoning Drew." I stared at him for a long moment, anticipating his response. At first, he seemed surprised that I had snapped at him; he gripped the fork in his hand and sucked in a deep breath.

"I don't think it's safe for you here," he said, quietly.

I frowned. "And, where's safe? Home? The place where our father is waiting to kill me? The place that reminds us of Mom every second of the day - the place where she was murdered?"

"I'm not saying we have to go home," Noah replied, shrugging his shoulders. "We could leave town; go anywhere! You've always said you wanted to go to Florida - what's stopping us now?"

"Drew," I blurted, narrowing my eyes. The excitement in his eyes disappeared at the mention of his name; his shoulders slouched forward and he turned his attention back to his plate of breakfast. "I can't leave him, Noah."

"Yes, you could," he muttered, shoving another piece of bacon into his mouth.

I shook my head. "God, I don't even know why I bother talking to you about him! You'll never understand how I feel - you'll never understand the position I'm in! I've accepted him and if you were a good brother, you'd accept the fact that I'm with him." He turned his head, looking at me with narrowed eyes. He opened his mouth to argue, but he was stopped by somebody prancing into the kitchen with a smile on his face. Forcing a grin, I looked at the person, instantly recognizing the floppy, dark hair and brown eyes. Brody leaped onto the counter in front of us, knocking off some papers with an innocent shrug. His battered sneakers rested close to Noah's plate and he pulled his food closer to him with a scowl.