Chapter - 48

Clutching the thin clothed - short - towel tightly to my body, I turned the brass doorknob of the bathroom door. I opened the door, slowly and peeked my head out of the crack. Looking around the doorpost, I saw that Bryson was on the couch and still watching the television. Pulling back in, I wondered what I could do. I could ask him to go in my bag and grab me my clothes. However, it would be embarrassing for him to see my undergarments. Yet, on the flip side, he has already seen them because he was the one to pack my bags. Even still, I wasn’t fond of the idea and figured the only thing to do was to go out.

My mind ran ramped with thoughts that made me fear going out there.

However, I halted all my thoughts as I realized that I was being beyond silly. So, what if I am in a towel? It is not like I will be stark naked in front of him. Plus, I figured, it might be fun - teasing him that is.

Shaking my head, I knew I couldn't tease him. It was torture enough that I rejected him and could see the physical (and mental) effects that was taking place because of that.

Gathering up my courage that I seem to have been lacking the past few days, I walked into the hotel room. My eyes, immediately, locked with Bryson as he gave me his undivided attention.

I expected him to look away from me or, at least, look shocked that I was in nothing but a towel. However, he just gave a loud sigh and continued to look me straight in the eye - as if he didn’t notice my choice in clothing ... or lack there of. “I’m sorry,” He stated in a sincere tone. Getting off the bed, standing up straight and turning off the television, Bryson tossed the remote on the bed. “I shouldn’t have said that I liked the thirteen-year-old you more. It was just that ... when you were mentally thirteen ... you ... I dunno, you were different - more-”

I cut Bryson off because I knew where he was getting at, “I was more into you.”

He nodded before walking towards me in three giant steps. Once he was right in front of me, Bryson wrapped his arms around me and gave me a tight hug. “I’m sorry, Elle, for everything. I’ve been an utter asswipe.”

I had no idea if I should take his words with a grain of salt or believe them full heartedly. This apologetic Bryson was just a slap in the face - unknown territory to me. “Uhhh, it’s cool.” Was all I could say in the moment for I’d no idea what else to say in response to his unusual words.

“Earl, why are you in just a towel?” Bryson asked, still not releasing me from the hug - not that I was trying or wanted to escape because for some very odd reason, I really liked his hugs.

I placed my forehead on his chest in embarrassment that he noticed, now of all times. With a deep blush spreading across my cheeks, I replied, “I forgot to bring my clothes into the bathroom.”

“Oh,” Bryson stated and then released me. “I can leave the room, if you want to get dressed,” He suggested.

I shook my head, “No, I will get changed in the bathroom.” Strolling over to my bag, I pulled out a set of clothes. Turning back to Bryson I saw that he was staring aimlessly at the carpet. “You know ... I was honest to a degree ... I don’t have feelings for you, like you have for me, but I - kinda - like you as a person ... I mean, you can be a pain in my ass but you can also be ... I dunno, nice... and I kinda like like the nice you.” I ran my hand through my hair, unsure of what exactly to say next. I stopped thinking about what words would spill out of my mouth next as I fully realized what I just admitted...

Holy Mother Cow ... I just admitted I liked Bryson...

Suddenly, I noticed Bryson moving.

“Where are you going?” I asked as he grabbed the key card to the room and his wallet.