13th ♕

13th

"First date, that is the concept," Bridge said, as we were having our final briefing. At the computer screen, I saw her cringe her eyebrows. At nine in the morning, we were having our last talk with Bridge, before this day would officially start.

The plan was that Art and I would meet at a coffee shop. That was why we were both having the last talk in two separate limousines. Which was overly scripted, seeing that we practically lived in the same house, just one with more than five-hundred rooms. Art could easily pick me up in front of my bedroom door.

But where was the fun with that? Bridge had thoroughly disagreed. She knew better. So when she said that first daters should originate from two different spots, it was how things should be.

"You finally have the time to enjoy a day together after the search. Remember, this has not been officially announced, so do your parts well on getting noticed," Bridge continued.

"Okay. Call," I said in response. We did have shades and black suits following us. Getting noticed was an easy task.

"Art, are you there? I can't see you. Where did Art go? Where did that boy wander off to?" Bridge asked. I also noticed that Art was nowhere in front of his webcam. He had been missing for a while now.

"Ms. Kingsburry, I'm sorry, but he already left five minutes ago. He's waiting at the coffee shop. He carefully instructed me to take notes about the other things you would say and give it to him after. My deepest apologies, ma'am," Bridge and I heard a voice speaking somewhere near Art's webcam.

"Who am I talking to?" Bridge raised an eyebrow.

"Ma'am." A figure came in front of the webcam. It was one of Art's entourage.

"Oh, great. Oh, great," was all Bridge could say.

"It will be fine, Bridge," I assured her on Art's behalf.

"When did you two do the right thing?" she asked. I kept my lips in a straight line. "That's what I'm saying. Okay, fine. Just put on the earpiece, George. Please do that for me, okay? Art is not as obedient as you are. I need to have at least one attentive ear in order not to ruin the day."

I took my jobs seriously. Putting on my earpiece in my right ear, I asked, "What should I do when I arrive at the coffee shop?"

"I'll tell you. I have an eye following you two around," Bridge said. And then to Art's bodyguard, she instructed, "He put on the earpiece, right?"

"Yes, he did, Ms. Kingsburry," he replied.

"Are you the one following us?" I asked Bridge.

"No, there's someone else," she answered.

"Okay," I said, adjusting the earpiece. I felt assured with the earpiece on. "Should I go?"

"Yes, go. I'll be there with you two. Don't get anxious, Georgiette," Bridge coached me, which was kind of sweet for her. I really needed help more than anyone else did in this place.

"Thanks, Bridge. Count on you," I replied, shooting a finger gun to her.

All the looks of reassurance faded away from her face. "Do not do that! Do not finger gun anyone in public. Nod, Georgiette."

"Kidding," I said, holding my hands up this time. "Nodding, I get it."

"Go on. It's past waiting time for guys," she told me.

"Okay, going," I replied, getting off the limousine. Ten minutes was the deal.

Jack was already waiting for me outside. The sun once again conquered the skies in full rhythm. I narrowed my eyes, adjusting my vision. Lenora wanted me to put on a pair of sunglasses, but I wasn't used to wearing them. My old life didn't require sunglasses that much.