Chapter 30 - At least I've never been easy

-//- Sarafina's pov -//- 

"I have really missed you Sissy" 

Those were the only words I needed to pull him back into another hug, my arms wrapping around his small shoulders, crushing his figure to my own. One hand resting on his lower back and the other at the back of his head. “I know, I’ve missed you so much...” I breathed softly, an emotional choke intermingling with my voice. Pushing him away I forced a giant grin “Like I can’t even describe” Releasing him from my hold I put my hands a few inches apart “This much?” 

“No, no!” I shook my head erratically as I spread my arms as far apart as they could, a little giggle coming from him made my heart soar. “This much!” I chimed happily, grabbing him once more into a bear hug.  

His laughter soon died down, the both of us sitting on the slightly damp grass. “So how have you been settling in?” 

His little shoulders bounced upwards “Okay” 

“School?” 

“Okay” 

My attempts to make a conversation as becoming frustratingly hard, he was either more upset with me than I had originally thought or something was on his mind “Mark...” I pressed leaning forward with a quirked eyebrow. 

With a groan he flung himself backwards onto the ground “There's this girl... and well... I think I like her” A light tinge of pink fluttered onto his cheeks. 

Whilst a large grin pushed up my own “You think?” Forcing my face neutral I withheld the need to squeal over the fact my little brother has a crush. 

“Yeah, like I miss her when she's gone, and I always want to be round her, her hair smells really pretty, and... I even share my chocolate animals with her” He had sat back up at his rant, eyes going wide as he waved his arms around. 

Whistling I nodded my head in sympathy “That’s serious” 

“I know” He groaned pushing his cheeks down wards with his hands “What do I do about it? Like make it stop! Kyle said that when you start to like a girl bad things happen! I don’t want bad things to happen” 

An unattractive snort came from me, of course Kyle would tell him something like, he was an arse. Always raining on people’s parades just because he couldn’t get some - At that single thought I winced, an instant overwhelming surge of guilt replacing the sudden humour I had felt. He was dead, and I was mocking him. He couldn’t even argue in his defence, I was literally kicking a dead man. Sucking in my cheeks, I drew in a sharp breath of air.

"Bad things won’t happen to you Mark" I uttered softly, placing my left hand onto his shoulder, smiling warmly. "When you feel like this-" I paused, the corners of my lips turning down as I thought over how to put it, I laughed shaking my head "I don’t know how to describe it"

"It’s like..." I frowned, looking up at the sky for inspiration "You're suspended in mid-air, hanging on by a single thread" I started slowly, moving my gaze back to him. Removing my hand from his shoulder so I could use it to perform gestures. I took a step away from him, indicating with my arms to all around us "And everything around you is completely still"

I proceeded to point to the ground "And in the distance below, you see that person" I paused, a smile curling at my lips, a crinkle forming at the corners of my eyes "But your trapped in this unknowing feeling of whether to take the leap and in that moment, that single blissful moment-" I hesitated once more, both of my hands clenching at my stomach, shoulders shrugged forward "You'd cut that thread, just to be with them, and you would take that rushing feeling of your heart in your throat, and that mind numbing sensation that shoots through every single nerve in your body just to get to them" My voice hitched in excitement as I explained the feeling that I never knew I felt "And even if at the end you crash into the ground, forcefully returning to reality" I shrugged my shoulder, relaxing them as I moved my hands back to my sides "It would have been worth it"