Day Eight: Someone you've drifted away from

Day Eight: Someone you’ve drifted away from

Who to pick? I’ve drifted away from a lot of people. Throughout my whole life, maybe because of death, maybe because they’ve moved somewhere else, or maybe because we’ve just had our falling outs, so I guess I’ll pick just one person, one person who I think made a huge impact on my life, and we just drifted away slowly, up to this point now where we haven’t even seen each other in almost two years.

Dear Arianne,

You were my best friend you know? We met in grade five, and I remember playing with those stupid Tamagotchi’s, talk about lame right? But we didn’t care; I mean we were ten years old, who cared about what people thought then?  We were like our own little pair, the best of friends you know? Remember? We’d crack inside jokes and talk about the shows we liked, and even on those rare occasions, talk about which Barbie movie was our favourite. We were being the typical kinds of kids; making trouble, giggling, and playing.

But then high school came along and I guess that’s when we started to drift away, we went to different high schools, and we’d hardly ever see each other anymore. I mean sure we’d see each other every now and then, on the weekends and everything, but nothing more, nothing less. We’d become more distant with each other, and our interests changed. You started worrying about boys and parties, I on the other hand, worried more about grades and being myself. You’d changed a lot, and I guess that’s what caused us to drift apart.

You’d always try and coax me to go to parties with you, and that continued for a year, and almost every Saturday you’d be at your ‘friends’ house and partying, or gossiping, instead of having our Saturday night sleepovers. Let me tell you, I was kind of disappointed by that.

So when we turned fifteen, things changed yet again, and more importantly you did. I noticed you’d started to act so much more different, your clothes became more revealing and you were almost like someone completely different to me, and to be honest, I hated it. I hated the new Ari, she was cold, she was stuck up, and she was fake and she was just too different from the old Ari.

I confronted you about it, and we had a fight over it, you said some mean things, and I said some hurtful things myself. My first bitch fight I guess. We left it unclosed, no proper closure, until we met up again a couple of months after. We had that awkward moment, and thank god we both decided to confront each other about everything, we agreed to stay acquaintances at least, and keep in contact somehow, but I could see that it was too late for you to change back to the old Ari, so I just agreed.

And now we’re eighteen, you’re probably nineteen by now. Last time we saw each other I was fifteen, you were sixteen. So I guess, three years now huh? The only form of communication we have is the phone, text messages every now and then, and that’s it.

I miss my old best friend. You were my first best girl-friend you know? And not to mention my first bitch fight, so thank you. I hope your life has been fulfilling Ari, I hope you’ve been happy. I don’t approve and don’t think I ever really will approve of the person you’ve become now, but I guess I can’t do much to change it now, it’s far too late.

I hope to see you soon Bestie,

Franny Bananny