Be Mine, Baby

Emily stuck out like a sore thumb between the two red heads. Glancing back and forth between Kyle's glowering face and Brent's snickering one, she wondered whom she should respond to first. With a sigh, she turned towards Kyle and gave him a disapproving stare.

"Kyle, what in the world did you do to your hair?"

Kyle brushed the newly dyed auburn hair self airily but didn't bother taking his eyes off of Brent who was watching their exchange amusingly. Well, it doesn't look too bad she contemplated. But it was absolutely against the school rules!

Letting out a sigh due to his lack of response, she stepped back so she can meet his eye level. "Kyle," she tried again, "I said to cut your hair or dye it a natural color. Not that ridiculously bright shade of red."

He finally turned to her and said stoically, "This is a natural color. There are such things as a red head, you know."

She shut her eyes in annoyance, trying to stop herself from lashing out at him. "Kyle, that is the most unnatural shade of red I've ever seen in my life. You want red head, here, this is a red head."

She tugged Brent over whose smirk grew wider at Kyle's obvious irritation. Kyle mentally shaved off the guy's reddish gold hair before asking her irritably, "Who's this guy anyways?"

Oh right. Clearing her throat she began the introduction uneasily. "Kyle, this is Brent." He raised his eyebrow, motioning for her to continue. "My," she thought about the right word, "friend." Brent gave her an amused stare but didn't say anything. "Brent this is Kyle, um, a new classmate."

Kyle didn't know why but he felt disappointed when he heard her say that. He stared at her hotly. "That's not really true. We're kind of more than that." Putting his arm around her shoulders, he brought her towards him. "We're always together."

He didn't know what prompted that sort of response, but for some reason, he wanted the tosser in front of him to know that Emily was his. But instead of going with Kyle, Emily pushed his arm off and said quickly, "Only cause I'm his caretaker."

Brent laughed loudly. "Right, so she's basically your baby sitter." He patted Kyle on the head. "Cute."

Kyle felt hot and embarrassed. Shoving his condescending hand off of him, he backed Brent back up into the brick wall.

"Say that one more time." He hissed.

"Say what? Babysitter?" Brent leered leaning closer into his face; when Kyle was about to bring his fist into his face, Someone tugged him off and he landed backwards into the sand.

"What the hell?" He turned around to see Emily glowering down at him. "Don't start fights! Come on, you're already super late! We need to get to class." She then swiveled around to icily glare at Brent. "And you! If you're going to be a student of this school from now on, you better follow the rules or else you will answer to me." Her eyes glinted and Brent gave an easy smile while backing away slowly.

"Got it, dear." He smiled cheekily earning another glare from Kyle.

Sighing, Emily pushed up her glasses and said, "I'll escort you to the office on the way to class."

Grabbing both of them by their collars, she dragged them down the hall to pointing fingers and snapping cameras.

xx

By fourth period, the new kid's rumors were rapidly spreading. Brent smirked as he caught traces of them as he walked down the hallway.

"Heard he used to work as a mobster's assistant," whispered a voice.