Chapter 9

The three of them went to Mia’s house after the event that happened at the kitchen. No words were spoken while they were on their way. Each one of them lost in their own thoughts. By the time they reached the house, Mia stopped them by the front door…

“Wait here. And don’t come in until I say so.”

Then Mia stepped inside and closed the door. Alex broke the silence when his friend remained silent…

“Okay, this is getting weirder by the minute. It’s not every day that two royalties are given orders by…” but Alex stopped talking when he realized that John isn’t listening at all.

Deep in thought and looking a little pale, John didn’t even give his best friend a glance. He was still feeling a little shaken with what’s been happening.

He thought being away for some time will help but from the ache his heart is going through right now…obviously time and distance didn’t work.

They were still waiting for Mia to come out of the house when John heard someone singing softly. Without saying anything to his friend, John started to follow the direction of the sound. The more space his steps covered, the louder his heart thumped…

He realized it’s the song that Kathy used to sing for him…

When he stopped and simply stared at the woman leaning beside a tree. A tree that brought so many memories for John…

“Kathy...” John whispered.

The woman seemed to sense someone was there with her so she turned around and looked directly at John.

One look at Kathy and John instantly knew something isn’t right. In her arms is a soft cloth that Kathy cradles with so much care. She smiled at John and gave no indication of any recognition. Kathy slowly walked towards John and motioned for him to come closer.

The man had no choice but to follow and when he came closer; Kathy slightly raised the cloth and motioned for John to take a look…

“We should be really, really quiet. My baby needs to sleep so he will grow strong and healthy just like his father.”

“You know, everybody talks behind my back saying that he left me.” Kathy said. She laughed softly and kept talking to John…

“But my John will prove them wrong. He will be back and he will be very happy when he sees our little miracle.”

John didn’t notice that his tears have started. Because when he looked down at Kathy’s arms…there was no baby.

He held Kathy’s face in his hands and pleaded with her…

“Kathy! Don’t you recognize me? I’m John! I came back!”

But Kathy just kept smiling and looked down at the soft cloth in her arms. She started to speak softly to the “baby” in her arms as she walked back to the tree…

“Don’t you worry, my darling. Daddy will be home soon and the three of us will be so happy for the rest of our lives. Yes…the rest of our lives. Daddy will be home soon. John will come back to me…”

Kathy’s words lowered down to a continuous whisper as she started to sway from side to side.

John who was left standing there felt a hand touch his shoulder. He was glad that his best friend is giving the space that he needs right now. He’s not sure if he’s up to explaining the situation to Prince Alex.

He heard Kathy begin to sing again to her “baby” and that was the last straw for John. He felt his legs couldn’t support him any longer so he dropped down to his knees.

John’s tears kept falling and the longer he looked at Kathy… the more he felt his heart breaking.

“What happened to you Kathy?”…

“What happened to us?”

Mia’s clear voice gave the answers to John’s questions.

“YOU HAPPENED.”