Moving in with my brother and his friends Chapter 9

Put your story text here...New chapters up. I hope you guys like it. Vote, comment, and fan.

Moving in with my brother and his friends.

************

Chapter 9

A really pretty woman that look to be in her early forties answered the door. Right away she pulled Nate into a hug.

"I've missed you so much." She said as she let go of Nate.

"I know, I missed you too." She looked at me and pulled me into a tight hug. When she pulled away she looked over me.

"She's beautiful." She smiled at Nate and looked at me. "You and Nate look so alike. Sorry where are my manners. I'm Sally Brooks, Nate's mom." She smiled and shook my hand but before I could introduce myself a man about Sally's age came up behind her.

"Son, you're late." Nate smile faltered a little bit and squeezed my hand tighter.

"Sorry, traffic was horrible getting here." There wasn't really traffic but I figured he was covering for me taking so long to get ready and get the nerve to meet his family. Nate seemed to pause and look at me.

"This is Charlie." Nate said and his dad gave me a once over and didn't look too pleased at what he saw. He nodded once without saying a word and turned back around and walked away back into the house. I looked at Nate. Nate leaned down into my ear.

"He didn't like the idea of me missing school and gallivanting around looking for you. Sorry for his behavior and I'm going to apologize ahead of time for anything my family says or does that offense you." Nate whispered.

"Please, come in my dears." His mother ushered us in. When I finally step into his house the living room was packed with people. They all were looking at me, some with delight, some with disgust, and others with blank unreadable facial expression.

"Who are all these people?" I whispered in Nate's ear. "I thought I was meeting your family not everyone you know." I heard Nate lightly chuckle.

"These people....." He paused and looked at me "are my aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, nephews, and nieces and so on and so forth." He looked at me and smiled. "They are my family." I couldn't help but feel a pang of hurt when he called them his family. I was his family. His blood, not anyone else.

There was also another pang of something. It took me a minute to figure it out, jealously. I was jealous. I didn't have a family. I didn't have anyone to lean on and help me through rough times. I was all on my own. No one was there for me and here I felt as if Nate was rubbing it in my face. I knew he wasn't doing it on purpose and he wanted me to be a part of his family but I knew that I wouldn't belong. I wasn't rich, I didn't have any money, I dropped out of school and stole. Nate couldn't even understand me. He didn't go through what I went through.

I guess I can't feel like that because I did have family, Parker. Not as big as his family but a family at that. I missed Parker so much. I felt like I could count on him but I guess not.

A lot of Nate's family seemed to like me but there were a few who had made up their mind about me before they met me, because me being a foster kid automatically means I'm a bad person.

Some people even tried testing me to see how smart I was, asking me questions, they all seemed shocked. I don't know if it's because they assumed because I was a foster I wouldn't be that bright or because I had the looks I couldn't possible have the brains to go with them. I mentally thanked Parker, for all those books he forced me to read after we dropped out of school. I don't know how he got the books but somehow his backpack was always full with them.

A couple of his guys cousins tried hitting on me but Nate put a stop to that right away. The girl cousins all seemed to look me over and some gave me their number so we could go shopping together, others gave me fake smiles and as soon as Nate had his back turned they glared at me.

I was completely tired when it was dinner time. Most of the family had left besides a few that decided to stay for dinner. We sat at a huge table that look to elegant even to eat on. Maids had brought in our meals. None of the maids had said two words. Sally went on and on about her trip to Paris.

"So, where's Danny?" Mr. Brooks asked interrupting his wife but she didn't seem to care. Mr. Brooks hadn't spoken in front of me since I walked through the front door.

"I saw Brittney but I don't think Danny ever showed up." I knew Brittney was Nate's sister. She had left earlier. His mother seemed to be thinking about this Danny person and where he might be. Nate cleared his throat and everybody turned to look at him.

"He actually called me last night and told me he couldn't make it, something about having to study or something." Nate looked down like he was hiding something. When we were kids he was always easy to read. No one else seemed to notice but his mom, who continued to look at him for a few extra seconds.

"Really?" Mr. Brooks said looking up from his dinner plate. "One of his teachers called me and told me he stopped attending school a couple of days ago. He hasn't been there all week."

"Well Danny told me he was studying." Nate looked at his wrist watch. "I think it's time to go. Charlie?" As soon as he said that I felt relieved and I stood straight up, everyone looked at me. Nate let out a chuckle. I glared at him and he smiled like he was very amused.

************

As soon as we were out the door I let out a breath that I must have been holding for quite some time. Sally walked us to the front door and hugged Nate and I goodbye but Nate's dad didn't say goodbye. He didn't even seem to notice that we were leaving.

"You okay?" Nate asked in the car.

"Yeah, I'm fine, just tired." I smiled up at Nate. I went over everything that happen tonight in my head and remembered something.

"Hey Nate, who's Danny?"

"Um, he's my step-brother." I looked at Nate.

"I don't remember him calling you last night." I questioned.

"That because he didn't. Danny is the misfit of the family. Mom and dad adopted Brittney and then me a year later. A couple years later they adopted Danny. If you thought my dad was hard on me, you should see how he is towards Danny."

"So you lied to your dad about him calling, so he wouldn't get into so much trouble?"

"Yeah but that seemed to backfire, since he's been skipping school."

"You're still an awesome brother. Any brother that would cover for their siblings is an awesome brother." Nate looked at me and smiled.

"Thanks."

"I have one more question." I asked.

"Okay shoot."

"You said they adopted Danny after you. Why didn't they just adopt me if they wanted more kids?" Nate looked at me with sad eyes. I knew this was a touché subject, not just for him but me as well.

"I don't know. They probably didn't want that many kids at that time. Brit and I were a handful but mom always wanted more. Dad didn't want any kids at all. Then Danny showed up in town and needed somewhere to go, so mom being mom offered him a place to stay. He just never left."

"And your dad just let him stay even though he didn't want any more kids?"

"If there is one thing I learned about dad its, he loves to make mom happy. Mom's his entire life. I figure he noticed mom liked having Danny around and saw how much mom loved him, so he let him stay. "

"Were home." I looked out the window to see us pulling into the drive way of the Nate's.......my new house.

********

Hope you guys like it. I missed writing.