Chapter 4: Alexander

I sighed as I crossed out yet another name from the docket. I leaned back in my chair and raised my eyes towards the podium to look at Holly Mavis again, a beautiful, short British woman, with pixie-cut brown hair was standing in a golden dress. Her dress shimmered in the light, giving her a royal look against the rich red curtains at the back.

She was beautiful, but she wasn't...right.

At this rate, I will not be able to escape the stupidity I had found myself into a couple weeks prior. We were almost at the end of the event. I played with the strap of my watch unconsciously, feeling frustration rise in me again.

I picked the glass of wine and brought it to my lips, letting the slight tangy taste rejuvenate my mind. I closed my eyes for a second and felt Marcus shift closer to my side.

"Hey," he whispered, leaning in. "Don't worry. All the girls here have undergone a thorough back-ground check. The people don't want to bid to go on a date with a person who might be an ex-convict or something like that. You can select anyone here." He shrugged as I fought off a repulsive shudder.

Bidding on people for a date was so not my style, but according to Marc, beggars can't be choosers. Being the son of a rich businessman, there was no situation where that phrase had applied before this.

This was my last attempt anyways. I had already given up finding another girl I like, convincing her to be my girlfriend and then my temporary wife. Time was already too short.

"I should just ask Minnie to marry me. Do you think she would be interested?" I joked, watching in amusement as Marcus's hand went to the knife kept beside his plate as part of the cutlery.

"You even look at her that way, you die." He stated simply, tracing the knife in front of his neck in a 'kill-you' fashion, his gaze intense. I laughed instead, glad to have pushed one of his buttons. There were only four things which made him react strongly. His parents, his sister, his career, and his hair.

I leaned closer to him and opened my mouth to retort something about how Minnie would be perfect. Then I simply closed it again and leaned back into my original position. It's of no use speaking my thoughts anyway. Marc already knew my parents quite nicely. They will know about my arrangement with Minnie instantly.

My parents, the great Blake and Aera Kimball, must have been Sherlock and Watson in their previous lives. They go the extra mile of interrogating any girl I like, themselves. What does she do? Did she have a past boyfriend? Her hobbies, her dislikes...And what really takes the cake?

That simple question my South-Korean mother always loved to ask and make all the girls run for the hills.

What are your intentions with my son?

My high school life sucked. People around me, my friends used to date casually and get into relationships all the time, but after one fateful interaction between my mother and the girl I used to date, she ran off, and announced to her friends what had happened. Then they all ran away.

Needless to say, I had been rocking the single life for quite a while now. Sure, I had been on a lot of dates, but I really just wanted to be in a relationship deep down in my heart. I wanted something which would last like my parents. And I just couldn't imagine that with Stella.

My head started to pound again because of her name. It's not like I disliked her, but the entire thought of her and I getting married was getting on my nerves.

I came out of my thoughts as clapping ensued after Holly stepped down from the platform.

All the girls here are beautiful in their own way, but what can make my childish plan, and to be frank; a last-ditch effort, a success is how well I could execute it. For that, I want a woman who can stand in front of my mother and be brave enough to face her when she asks all the questions.