Get Off My Back

While sitting in the living room reading my kids a book just before bedtime, we heard some really strange sounds coming from somewhere outside. The kids were a bit frightened so I told them I would go and see what all the commotion was about.

I put on my boots, grabbed my flashlight and cautiously ventured out the front door.  As soon as I closed it behind me, I heard the strange sounds again. I froze in my tracks. It seemed to be coming from next door. Crouching low I slowly made my way down the driveway toward the neighbor’s house, my combat skills that I learned from years of watching action movies took over.

Then I saw it. A huge shape was coming towards me at a high rate of speed. In fear, I turned to run but it was too late. What ever it was knocked me to the ground then proceeded to stomp all over my back. I cried out in pain. Several people began yelling but I was too concerned about my current situation to pay attention.

The creature suddenly got off my back and fled. I rolled over on my side just in time to see something running down the street. As it passed under a street light, I could see clearly that it was an ostrich (that is a large flightless bird from Africa, for those of you in Rio Linda) with what appeared to be a little person in chaps and cowboy hat riding on its back.

“Boy, did I pick the wrong day to stop drinkin’,” I said to myself.