Chapter 22-Edited

Chapter 22

Elizabeth's POV

I love the feeling of running in my wolf form. I love feeling the wind on my fur, and I love the power I feel. Running in wolf form has always been that one release for me. It has always helped me calm down, and relax.

Ryder and I decided to have a pack run so we could all have a little fun. The tension that's in the pack house was suffocating everyone, and we all needed some fresh air. Some guards have been assigned the first shift to watch the houses. The second shift will start in about an hour, and new guards will take over. This way, everyone has some time to relax.

I lift up my nose and take in a deep breath and close my eyes. I love the smell that nature gives off. The sweet smell of flowers assaults my nose, and I sigh in content. With my advance hearing, I can hear a lot of other animals running along in the woods, and the sound of water running. I can hear the younger wolves playing with each other while some adults talk, or some join in for the fun.

Ryder's wolf form comes next to me and he rubs his side into mine. I let out a sigh and lay down. Ryder lays down next to me with his big head resting on my back.

It's so peaceful out here, and this is exactly what I need. Just a little bit of peace and quiet. I feel myself dozing off as I relax completely.

I don't know how long I sleep before I feel something warm and wet licking my face. I open my eyes expecting to see Ryder, but instead, I see a little brown wolf looking at me. Her brown eyes remind me of a little girl I know. I sniff the air slightly, and sure enough, Abigail is the little wolf in front of me.

She wags her tail excitedly, and I glance around and see that a group of kids in their wolf forms are peering at me curiously.

Aw, they're asking me to play with them.

Ryder is still resting his head on my back, but I can tell that he's awake. I know he wouldn't have fallen asleep while we were left vulnerable, especially with everything that's even going on.

I nudge his side, but he doesn't move which causes me to frown. I nudge his side again but he still doesn't move. I can imagine the smirk on his wolf face. I growl lowly before I use my tail to slap him in the face. He instantly jumps up, and his wolf lets out a sound that I think is a sneeze.

The children and I laugh quietly at him. Ryder looks at us with a slight glare on his face before a smirk appears on his face.

"You guys better run," he says through the mindlink. The children look at him shocked, and almost a little frightened. They quickly stand up and run out of the clearing. I look back at Ryder and see that he is staring right at me.

"I'll give you a 10 second head start." I give him a wolfish grin before I start running in the direction the kids ran in. A few seconds later I hear the sound of paws hitting the ground and I know that Ryder is chasing me. I pick up my pace, and soon I'm right near the children. The adults watch us in amusement and with smiles on their faces.

Some of the kids go hide behind their parents, but the older ones keep running. I can hear Ryder getting closer to me, so I take a sharp right turn. Ryder glances at me before he starts chasing Abigail. She tries to run faster, but she's obviously no match for an alpha male. He quickly catches her, and dumps her into a small stream nearby.

I laugh at the look on her face when she emerges from the water. She looks so shocked, but she also looks a little upset. Her face holds determination on it, and her eyes fog over. I guess she is using the mindlink. A few seconds later, a bunch of kids start "attacking" Ryder. Their little wolf forms try to drag him into the water, but they have no such luck.