Chapter 1: The Assassin & The Curse

The Hunters

Chapter One: The Assassin & The Curse

The wind ran across the face of a young man walking to his place of refuge. Coming from an assignment he had just completed, now he was to return to his clansmen for new orders. He was bored and frustrated with his previous job. Although, his client was very satisfied with his work and the objective was completed. He felt it was far below his talents to do petty assassin work, and he wanted a real challenge for his skills.

He pondered, "How am I going to improve my skills if I keep running into missions below my talent?"

As he reached the fortress the Jaw Bridge lowered in anticipation of his arrival. His cloak waved in the wind almost as if it felt his frustration. He looked down into the moat as he walked along the Jaw Bridge.

"How many people must I kill before my skills are recognized? Who must I leave in ruin? I've slaughtered towns and villages leaving no one left. Targets were eliminated within twelve to twenty-four hours. I am one of the most feared soldiers in the Dark Legion. So why am I still being sent on pathetic assassinations?" The man thought to himself, “Something huge is about to happen, there have been more and more guards since the past few assassinations. Priority kills have been increasing as well. Politicians are not usually our targets. However, recently more and more politicians have been dealt with, in areas where the Guild holds the influence no less. I wonder if this will become a war soon.” The young man pondered.

Hidden under his hood was the face of a handsome young man who could be mistaken for an inexperienced solider and it made for a great cover. Who would think a man who appeared to be a fresh recruit would be one of the most deadly assassins in the world. The assassin's weapons were a pair of spear tipped razor whips. They looked like chains; however, the sides were razor sharp and could quickly and easily dispatch several enemies as well as brutally cut through and dismember bodies. As he walked over the Jaw Bridge of the fortress to meet his commander, he looked down into the moat wondering just how old this fortress really was. His commander was a powerful leader of an army that stretched all the way to the Far Eastern territories. Even the mighty Atora Khan was part of his Dark Legion, one of his top generals even; nothing was out of the grasp of Commander Lorvok.

The Fortress sat atop a tall hill. On the other side of the hill was an ancient temple that appeared to have grown out of the hill instead of being built into it. The Temple was a sphere shape, similar to an egg with cryptic writings on it. There were three main towers lifting up out from the center of the fortress. Large walls surrounded the fortress, the largest being the front wall appeared as if a stone dragon was coming forth from the wall with its mouth as the entrance way and the lower jaw of the dragon known as the Dragon’s Jaw serving as the bridge over the moat. Two large guard towers stood at the either end of the wall. Inside the fortress walls the simplicity of the construction was incredible. The main building stood centered in the ground surrounded by smaller buildings.

"Welcome back. Not even the soldiers guarding your target lived long enough to get a glimpse of your face, your talent has become very impressive Marius." greeted Lorvok.

“You’re having our clansmen following me?” yelled Marius, "DO YOU THINK ME SO WEAK THAT I CANNOT HANDLE A SINGLE BATTALION?" his anger flowed through him. He knew Lorvok was a challenge worth his skill in battle.

"ENOUGH", shouted Lorvok, "you and I both know that's what we do; it is not any show of disrespect! You, of all people, should know that by now. Besides, I have a reward for your recent hard work. This is far beyond riches or wealth I knew those would never be enough for you but I have found what you want, to become stronger.”

His interest piqued "Go on." said Marius.

"Follow me." said Lorvok as he gestured Marius to the next room.

Marius followed Commander Lorvok into the room, unsure of what to expect next. As the doors opened they slowly revealed a large circular room with a massive triangular carving in the floor. Marius stopped and scanned the large room noticing the distinct writings on the wall, not that he could read them. From what he could tell, they were from an ancient civilization that existed in the time of lost history before any known history had been written. It wasn't just one lost language either, two more were in the room, and each language stood on a pillar at each point of the triangle in the floor. Looking back in the direction of Commander Lorvok he noticed the most powerful wizard in possession of the Legion, Selvak. As he approached the two he could hear their conversation.

"Commander Lorvok, do you believe him strong enough to go through with the transformation?" asked Selvak.

"Of course his skills have improved so much that Mad Peirrot won’t even mention his name anymore without looking over his own shoulder." replied Lorvok.

Marius found the conversation curious. He had not expected compliments and light chatter. Something was definitely amiss. He brushed it off. He didn't care what they had in store for him. All he wanted was to be stronger, to become an unstoppable being of destruction at any price.

"Ah, here he his." said Commander Lorvok noticing Marius as he approached "Are you ready to become an unstoppable force of nature?" he asked.

Marius considered the offer for a few moments. Everything he wanted, the power, the strength, but he knew he had to ask one question before he accepted this so called transformation.

"What's the catch?" Marius asked.

"No catch." replied Selvak motioning him towards the center of the room.

"Then I accept this reward that you have given me" said Marius as he entered the center of the room, unknowingly stepping into a trap that would change his life forever.

"This will take some time and you will go through some great pain during the transformation." stated Selvak as he began to speak in an unknown language.

Suddenly a flood of thousands of images and memories went through his mind and an immense pain ran across his skin and shot through his body. When he awoke he was lying in the center of the room. Getting up, he walked slowly towards a small bowl filled with water near the entrance of the room. Dipping his hand into it and drinking the water, he looked at his reflection.

“By Krylack’s name,” he whispered to himself as he looked into his reflection, “what have they done to me?”