Chapter 8b - Confrontation

In the lobby the interview proceeded. Samantha continued to question and probe the view Mark was portraying with a growing concern at the cold rationalism of this person. She couldn’t verify some of the things he was saying, nor could she make an informed criticism of them.

She hadn’t expected anything like this from these lowly protestors. It was supposed to be a chance to appease the situation, provide a bit of entertainment value, and for her to come out looking cool, composed and in control. Instead she found herself passively listening while Mark explained how the genetic selection of partners would allow a fairer opportunity for people to enter the gene pool. Based on the biological factors that mattered rather than based on irrelevant socio-economic factors of prestige, popularity and wealth.

Samantha was sure there must be something wrong about this callous approach to a sensitive, emotionally-charged subject, but was currently too shocked to ask the most pressing questions. She did not like where the interview was heading. So she had to gather herself in the whirlwind.

She addressed Mr Brunt. "Now this is well and good if it is as you claim. But do you really think that the scientists and other experts have not already fully explored and rejected this avenue of enquiry? It sounds like something you have strong views about, but if it is such a sound idea, why have you not put it through the proper channels?"

"We both know scientists have become insulated from the ground level, from the grass roots of our society. In favour of personal glory and a status symbol that they pursue with great vigour, certainly, but unfortunately with little compassion and understanding of human needs..."

At that point Mark turned to his other side to see Jim was seating himself next to him, hurriedly putting on a microphone. They exchanged a quick glance. Mark wore a slightly surprised look at first, but then it changed to satisfaction as he realised he now had an opportunity to confront his true target.

Jim smiled slightly dismissively, trying to hold in his anger for now, waiting for the right moment to release it. Jim also was quite nervous and slightly flustered at causing this interuption, since it came from an impulsive act he rarely indulged in.

He looked at Samantha and she smiled to try and put him at ease, as if to say she expected him to come down and do this and was ready to act accordingly.

"Well it looks as if Jim Mercier has decided to join us. For those of you not aware, Jim Mercier is a leading scientist of the natural-social science Synergy. He presented a speech last night at the emergency conference held in this building, putting forward publicly to a live audience for the first time his proposals for social reform including his much touted happiness equation. Good morning Mr Mercier, what do you make of the protest tonight?"

"Good morning Samantha, or is it a late night...It has been a long night that is for sure... My thoughts on these protestors is that it is a typical attempt of desperate people trying to gain influence by use of force and violence."

Mark responded, "let me remind you that no violence has been used, it has been a peaceful protest..."

"Now let me explain something to you Mr Brunt. We scientists are peaceful people. We rely on controlled environments. It is where debate can thrive and truth can take seed. Setting fires outside this building, standing and shouting your slogans, has left a lot of people in fear in here. It is a needless act, and if condoned on this occasion will only breed future protests of a similar kind. Making ever more spurious demands and claims. Undermining the scientific discussion of the issue at hand, and turning the debate into a mere shouting match between opposing camps. We did away with that approach some time ago when we dismantled the two-party system. You surely don’t want us to regress to that state of affairs?"