Chapter 30: Friendships

The week passed quickly, surprisingly. It was easy to fall back into the usual routine of waking up, going to school, homework, then falling asleep. Because of the whole incident, I was now behind in all of my classes, in which I had to make up very quickly or else my grades won’t be straight by finals.

“Raven,” Aura said, almost whining. 

“What? I’ve got homework to finish,” I defended, looking back at my huge stack of papers to get through.

I sighed. I needed coffee.

Currently, Aura and I were in my room. Why Aura was here, I was just as confused. Only a few minutes ago did she knock on the door and invited herself in. Ever since she got here, she was trying to convince me to go to the library with her.

If I wasn’t worried about my grades, I would’ve said yes. But I was too behind in my classes.

Stupid demons, I cursed silently.

Aura looked at me, pausing in her rambling speech about the use of e-books instead of regular books. “Did you hear that?” she asked, sitting up.

My whole body tensed, ready for whatever threat there was to face. There was no way I would let anything hurt my friends or I again.

“Woah Raven, chill. It was just the window. It’s open,” she explained, glancing at the curtains which were obnoxiously flapping due to the harsh wind.

Furrowing my eyebrows, I was about start panicking when I felt the familiar tingle in my tattoo. Internally groaning, I said dryly, “Yeah, it’s nothing.”

Then, thinking up of a genius way to get myself out of seeing him, I quickly said, “I can go for some coffee. Let’s go.”

By the look on her face, I knew she was confused but not willing to argue. Just as we were going to leave, she asked, “You aren’t going to close your window? You’re going to get sick.”

Aura gave me a look, her eyes stern. When she had that gleam in her eyes, there was no refusing who was in charge. It reminded me of my mother.

Plastering a fake smile on my face, I turned around.

“I’ll meet you outside,” she called out to me, exiting the dorm.

Did she really have to do that? I muttered under my breath, ready to just leave the room with the window wide open when I felt an arm grab my wrist.

Glaring at the source of the touch, I felt like my body betrayed my heart, as shocks of electricity shot up my arm. Deciding to just ignore the feeling, I looked up into the most electrifying blue eyes that I know were only disguising his red eyes.

It was like a jolt went through me every time I got a chance to look at him. The way his black hair fell above his arched eyebrows and blue eyes made him look even more attractive than I thought was humanely possible.

Then again, he wasn’t human.

And neither are you, a voice inside of my head scolded me.

The more I looked, the more I tried to tell myself that I shouldn’t be feeling this way. It wasn’t right, and even though I forgave him, I knew he would never be right for me. 

“Blaze, let me go,” I said, my voice quiet but firm.

“I need you to know something,” he said urgently, desperately.

Confused, I tried to pull myself free. “You’re hurting me,” I said, more matter-of-factly rather than whining.

But, as I looked down at my wrist, I could see almost bruises forming. Blaze wasn’t in control of his actions, and who knows what he might do.