My beautiful sister who stood before me was still her – just caked in make-up and extensions with straightened hair. She’d cracked, I knew she would in the end but I hadn’t thought the end would be this soon. Bree had cracked, turning into the popular girl she was always demanded to be. She had taken the role and conformed to the dress code of what was seen for the popular girl. It was like one of those stupid reality shows about school life where the popular girls were mean and extremely barbie like but Bree wasn’t mean… she just wasn’t the Bree I once knew.

“Oh, is Micky joining us?” I smiled as friendly as I could manage; trying not to show the true dislike I had towards the boy.

“No, Micky was on the way to visit his dad and dropped in to say hi” her whole face lit up as she look up to meet his eyes.

“Okay, you ready?” I walked towards the door, unable to watch them be all cute and couple like.

“What do you think?” she spoke sarcastically.

Smiling and rolling my eyes I opened the door, grinning even deeper as the door squeaked. Mum wasn’t going to be happy that dad hasn’t fixed it yet but that wasn’t something I was going to get to see. Reaching for the car keys I heard mum yell out for us to wait but just as it made Bree walk faster it made me want to get out of the house faster. Micky walked slowly, he didn’t understand the rush but as soon as he was out I shut t and locked the door. Bree and I were in the within moments, waiting for Micky to move his own car. He didn’t understand that our mother always had something to say about what we wore and how she didn’t like us walking around the street by ourselves. Today neither of us felt like listening to her.

The sound of Micky’s engine starting made my shoulders release some tension I hadn’t noticed myself holding but as I watched Bree wink and blow him a kiss off the reflection in the mirror made me wish he had left sooner. Starting mum's car, I released the break, mum opening the front door as the car made its first movements. The sudden urge to the a little harder on the accelerator washed over me as Bree begun to play with the radio. The hum of the tires on the road filled the car with a tension that hadn’t seemed possible between my sister and I for years. It made me want to say something but I couldn’t bring myself to start a conversation with Bree. Normally, I could have said anything but today nothing came close. The music filled the car but not the silence that should have been comfortable.

The leather was uncomfortable on the back on my legs and stuck to my shoulders as I waited for Bree to come out with what had to be the fifty millionth dress she had tried on in this day alone. The first one had been pink, the second blue, the third purple then a red one and a pink one and I think a gold yellow one but honestly after the red one everything started to blend together. It was a rainbow, all I wanted to do was taste the rainbow and buy a packet of skittles… or ran away… screaming. There was just nothing she liked. ‘This colour makes me look pale’ or ‘This dress hugs all the wrong curves’ but my favourite phrase that she even said to the best dress she had tried on was ‘This make me look like an elephant’.

Like freaking hell, the dress was black; you can’t go wrong with black. It was long; falling all the way to the floor even with her taller frame, there had been no back to it but looked very elegant. It would get all eyes on her, it did for everyone else in the room but she didn’t see it. After she spoke ill of it everything just shut down. I couldn’t stand it. Now she stood in front of me in lavender, one shouldered thing that was flowy and knee length. Basically I couldn’t stand it.

“What do you think?” she twirled, her eyes on her image in the mirror with a look on her face that said this was the one.

“I like the black one… maybe the red one,” I kept my eyes down, picking at lose threads on my jacket, “It gave a nice almost tan to your skin but the black, yeah the black” I looked up to her, keeping my face blank besides for the sweet smile.