Twelve

After staying at the stork club for a while longer we both decided to leave and get some sleep. But during the night I kept having nightmares, of Steve, of Bucky, and me losing them both. I really need to get those thoughts out of my mind. Even if I've already lost one of them. To me though he isn't lost, he's still with me in spirit.

The next day and whilst i was going through things with Peggy, Steve came up to me and gave me some dog tags.

"What are these for?" I asked him.

"They're Bucky's. Thought you might want them." I looked at the dog tags and saw Bucky's name on them with his date of birth and regiment. I rubbed my finger over his name and smiled to Steve.

"Don't you want them?" I asked him and he shook his head.

"Thought you would want them more" He smiled and I brought him in for a hug.

"Thanks Steve" I whispered in his ear.

"You're welcome Ash" He smiled before leaving to attend to his business. I saw Peggy looking sad so I hugged her. Telling her about Bucky was hard as according to Steve, Bucky was going to ask Peggy to be his girlfriend after they came back from the exact mission Bucky died on. A long with me Peggy was deversated but tried to hide her sadness, which I could see right through. Even Howard was sad about Bucky. They had only met a couple of times but I thought they would have become good friends. They were like each other in personality. Witty and humorous and hard not to love.

I smiled at the memories and put the dog tags around my neck and hid them under my uniform. Peggy smiled at my actions before grabbing some paperwork and walking to the meeting table. Phillips was stood at the front and I was sat in between Howard and Steve.

Phillips turned from facing tge map to facing us. "Johann Schmidt belongs in a bug house. He thinks he's a god, and he's willing to blow up half the world to prove it, starting with the USA."

"Schmidt's working with powers beyond our capability's" Howard spoke up. "He get's across the Atlantic, he will wipe out the entire Eastern Seaboard in an hour." I looked to Steve and he was reading some notes about Schmidt and where he could be. He placed the paper on the desk and looked puzzled.

"How much time we got?" A guy called Timmy asked. I got to know the 107th pretty well after Steve saved them all. They were all genuine guys that reminded me of Bucky.

"According to my new best friend, under 24 hours" I'm sure Phillips was talking about Steve. But 24 hours? That's not a long time.

"Where is he now?" I asked.

"Hydra's last base is here" Phillips said pointing to a place on a photo of some mountains. "In the Alps, 500 feet below the surface."

"So what are we suppose to do?" Another member of the 107th called Dugan asked. He was the nicest of them all. I've grown pretty close to him to be honest.

"I mean it's not like we can just knock on the front door"

"Why not?" Steve asked turning all eyes on him. He better be joking right now. "That's exactly what we're gunna do" He's not joking is he?

Turns out he wasn't. They are literally going to go to the front door and make their way round. I tried to convince Steve to make a better plan but all he had to do was to ask if I trusted him.

But this time me and Peggy aren't staying behind. We;re going in as backup. Once they get inside the base, me and Peggy will lead the 107th into the base. I'm quit excited to do some action work as I haven't done that much since I trained. I know how to use a gun obviously but I never really used it much outside of the shooting range. Well apart from that time I shot at Steve's shield but that was a test.