3. Chapter 18. - PART 1.

"The difference between pain and love is time."

The life that Marivic once knew was a simple ten steps away from her. It was just beyond those gates, waiting for her with open arms. From where she stood she could hear the harmonious sound leaking through the crack of the half opened gate - taunting her, tempting her to take that first step. She did. One step, then another. Now, with eight more steps remaining, she found herself coming to a stop. She could no longer take another step, it was as if her feet were trapped by two unseen hands that emerged from beneath the concrete path. They were holding her back and keeping her frozen in place. Could she do this? She kept asking herself over and over.

And for a moment there, she thought that being here was such a bad idea… like offering herself up to be swallowed whole by a pack of wolves. Lance was nowhere in sight. She was the only one there standing outside the iron gates.  Convinced that this was such a bad idea and seeing the outcome of what’s waiting for her inside, she cowered. How foolish of her to think that she could do this! How foolish of her to believe in Dan’s words that things are different now! She shook her head in dismay. She couldn’t. She couldn’t risk it. She couldn’t risk having her heart be shattered into a million pieces for the nth time. She made up her mind. She took a step back and a few more. Just before she could completely turn her back, she heard a voice.

“Tita?” A female voice called. “Tita Vicky!” And that’s when she turned to see a young woman in her early twenties standing by the gate. Seeing the startled look on Marivic’s face, the young woman closed the gap between them. “Tita, hindi mo na po ba ako kilala? Si Che-Che po.”

“I didn’t recognize you, Cheryl.” Marivic’s eyes widened in surprise. It’s been so long since the last time she saw her, she was still in highschool back then. “Dalaga ka na, hija! Kamusta na?”

“Okay lang po ako, Tita.” Che-Che said. “Hindi ko na din po kayo nakilala. Ang tagal po nating hindi nagkita.”

“Oo nga, ang tagal na din.” She gave her a nostalgic smile. “How are your parents? Are they okay?”

“Mabuti naman po sina Nanay at si Tatay,” Che-Che told her. The beautiful box on Marivic’s hands caught her attention and she knew right then why she was here. Dan had already given her the heads up about this almost impossible appearance. Che-Che gave her a smile and held her by the arm. “Tita, halika ka na po, pasok na po. Sila Nanay at si Tito Dan, they’re all inside na po.”

“Ay naku, Che, ano kasi,” she hesitated for a second, while she tried to compose her thoughts. But Che-Che didn’t seem to hear her as she pulled her slowly towardsthe gate. And her feet were no longer chained on the ground as she glided freely into the direction where she was being led.

Marivic and Che-Che disappeared inside the small gate. The guard, who was at the standing table by the gate, greeted them both. Setting foot on the well-manicured Bermuda grass, she let out a sigh of relief. That wasn’t so hard, was it?, she thought to herself. They started to walk toward the porch. They were halfway there when the guard called out for Che-Che. They turned to see that there were visitors waiting at the gate.