First Sight, First Flight

ONE OF MY MOST FAVORITE SONGS OF ALL TIME AND I THINK, JUST RIGHT FOR THIS CHAPTER XD

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Oh God, I really don’t want to be back here.” I muttered with dread as I looked out of the windows at the vaguely familiar lakeside town.

My Dad frowned at this. “Why not? This is your home Beth, your family are here.”

“I don’t know these people anymore, and I haven’t thought of this place as my home for a very long time.”

“Well snap out of it, because this is your home and these people are your pack, they love you.”

“No they don’t. They’ve probably forgotten me too, this is just you trying to make yourself not feel as guilty.” He ignored me, ever the optimist I guess he figures I'll come around eventually.

We pulled up to our house in our drive and for some horrible reason I expected to see some bimbo come running out and introduce herself as my step mother, but it never happened. My Dad always swore that he’d never love again and the thought of another woman still makes his stomach turn as if the bond still lived on within him.

I walked around to the trunk, ignoring the big pretty house on the edge of the lake. I used to love swimming in that lake, if anyone pissed me off I’d take off swimming and it’d be great, the silence under the water, the calm.

Pulling out my heavy bags I dropped them at my feet and slammed the trunk shut more forcefully than I needed to, before my Dad shooed my hands away and picked them all up with ease himself after tossing me the door keys.

Getting the message, I ran ahead of him to open the damn thing and stood out of the way while he brought the bags in and carried on walking up the stairs with them. I watched him go for a little bit making sure that I was alone before I looked around.

Closing the door behind me I took a minute to look around the lounge a little, it was huge as always and just as grand with it’s marble flooring and carpeted stairs, chandeliers hanging gracefully from the ceiling, silk drapes around the windows, it was too fancy for my taste but I couldn’t deny the beauty.

Familiar home scents made their way into my system and my wolf revelled in them; asking me questions as to why she liked them so much – she can only remember things from when she came into being when I turned at sixteen. Even though we share a consciousness she doesn’t have any knowledge of my life before then.

I found myself telling her how Dad had spilt a bottle of the aftershave Mom had bought him for Father’s day one year on the rug, and how he said it was an accident, but we all knew it was on purpose because he didn’t like it. I told her how in the summer the smell of the fresh water would filter in through the windows like it’s doing now. 

Concentrating hard for my wolf to see my memories had distracted me from my Dad having come back down the stairs, and had even given him time to pull me into a hug that I had not wanted to give, but being back in his warm embrace I found myself closing my eyes and hugging him back just as tight.

I had missed him so much when I was away, even though I’d bury it away in denial, he’s my Dad and I’ll never feel as home or as safe with another man than I do with him. I know he went about things wrong by sending me away, but I also know it was out of fear of losing me, I knew that he’d done it because he loved me and it hurt him to do it just as much as it hurt me.

“I missed you Daddy.” I whispered into his shirt, my eyes still closed until he pulled back a little to take my face in his hands.

My eyes widened at seeing his own watery ones. “I missed you too, so much Beth.”