The Actress

We’ve been together till the late hours: me in front of the camera, him behind it. I could see how tired he was. One could easily tell by the way he rests his head on his right fist, staring at the screen with his sheepish eyes.

I try my best to perfect the last scene, knowing full well that if I can get it right we would pack up and he could get his rest. I’m tired too, but my feelings are not as important these days. My sole mission is to be good, so that everything would turn out the way he wants it to.

He wrote a story about love.

He spilt the words on paper and he handed them to me. He gave me the responsibility to tell it to the world. But it wasn’t that simple. My job was not just to look pretty and say the lines. My job was to help him reveal his heart.

The heroine in his story, she tells how she feels for that one man she loved. I pour my heart through his words, spill his thoughts through my tongue. How real they felt to me. How wonderful is this moment that I speak what he has written. I looked at him to tell him how beautiful I think he is, and how much his words have enveloped my heart.

But his eyes were blank. He sat there, studying the screen, fixing the lights, editing my lines. He tells me I’m beautiful, but he didn’t really tell me that. He told that to that two dimensional girl he saw on the screen.  

That girl wasn’t me.

That girl was his camera’s version of me, unjustly portrayed by the little technologies stuck in its brain.

He shouted “Cut!” and told me I did a great job. He pats me in the back, but his hand felt cold and uncaring. And then he was gone. The lights are off. The people are packing.

He left me alone.

His camera, however, is safe in his arms.  And I want nothing more than to smash its lenses, kick it to the ground and silently wish it to hell.

He doesn’t need me anymore.

For the next few days he would be with that useless piece of crap, and he would replay my face and hear my voice over and over, straightening out imperfections, editing out mistakes. He would see me onscreen. He would play me a million times.

But he would never know he broke my heart. That stupid camera will never tell him that.

***********************************************************************************************************************

This here is inspired by the girl in that video by WongfuProductions, "When Five Fell". She's not conventionally pretty, this girl, but the camera loved her so much, and I found myself marveling at how beautiful she was. Oh, the power of Wes's camera. And what if she's in love with the director, but the director is too absorbed in the filming process to notice, right? So that's where this short came from. Sucky background. But I try. <3

Comment. Vote. Fan. Or just commenting is fine. I love reading thoughts other than my own. xxxmeimei.