Chapter Thirty One

Dear Diary,

God, Leo was in a real state when I got home today. I was all excited, more than ever and I thought that I would find him somewhere in the house being all excited too. I had just seen Tony, just as I came through the back door. He had come to speak with us about our next gig. This isn’t just any gig, this is the most unbelievable gig of our entire lives – everything we’ve dreamed of. A gig in New York City – all expenses paid in a huge venue, more people there than there were in Manchester! I mean, New York! Aaaaaah! I could hardly breath with excitement.

So when I came through the back door, after seeing Tony – who had told me loads of details to pass on to Leo – most of which I’ve forgotten now, I was expecting to find Leo somewhere rejoicing. But no. That’s not what I found.

First of all I walked over a small hill of mail all stacked up behind the door – the scribbles all over the envelopes and the hand drawn hearts told me it was fan mail. I checked all the rooms downstairs, shouting his name as I went, then dashed upstairs and flung myself into his bedroom. The curtains were drawn, only a few small slats of the afternoon sunshine fell onto the carpet. There were cups and plates strewn all over the place, sooo not like my neat freak brother. The bed was unmade and there he was, alone on the floor, sleeping.

He didn’t flicker despite my noisy entrance. The stuffed owl, the snowy white one Mum got him lay right next to his elbow. He had a bit of a rug under his head whilst his actual pillow lay on the bed. I just didn’t have a clue what was going on.

I bent down to look at him more closely, seeing dark circles under his eyes and matted bits in his thick hair. He looked paler than usual. I crouched right down next to him, worried. I stroked his hair until he started to murmur. He didn’t open his eyes straight away: it was as though he just couldn’t find the energy.

I patted his arm and noticed how cold it felt. When I looked closer I saw the tinniest little goose bumps all over his skin. After a few minutes he rolled over onto his back, knocking over a pile of books next to him.

‘Ugh,’ he said.

‘What are you doing?’ I said, as gently as I could.

‘I’m asleep, what does it look like?’ he said.

‘Why are you on the floor?’ I said.

‘Uh, I don’t know, I must’ve dropped off,’ he said.

‘What are you doing back here?’ he said.

‘Er, I live here,’ I said.

‘Not recently you don’t,’ he said, rolling over onto his side, turning himself away from me.

‘It’s only been a couple of days and I’m back now,’ I said, reaching out to touch his back. ‘What’s wrong?’

‘I’m just ill, that’s all,’ he said.

‘What kind of ill?’ I said.

‘Don’t know, just feel horrible. Got a headache. Feel sick,’ he said.

I know it sounds weird but I was relieved when he said this. I was beginning to wonder what on earth was the matter. I’ve seen Leo ill many times before – it’s never a pretty sight. Even if he gets a cold the whole world knows about it and he has to be nursed like a patient in hospital or something.

‘Come on then. Let’s get you into bed,’ I said.

‘No,’ he said. ‘I’m staying here.’

‘Aw, come on!’ I said. ‘I just saw Tony. He told me we got a gig in New York, in one weeks time…’ I said, both hands on his back now, gently rocking him in excitement.