Chapter Nineteen: Part 3

Monday was such a slow day that Alice opted to close the shop for two hours and have everyone up to her suite for a late lunch. She was just about to flip the sign over so it would read “closed”, when she spotted Altair, Tricia and Lacy waving from across the street.  She opened the door and called across to them.

“Are you lurking over at the coffee shop watching me?”

            They waiting for a break in the traffic and walked across. Alice noticed that Altair had a thick book in his hand and he was actually wearing glasses.  Combined with the dark green sweater and black jeans he was wearing, he looked more like a casually dressed teacher than the unruly scoundrel he usually resembled. Although he still hadn’t shaved. The spine of the book read, “A study of Ancient Gods”, which reminded her of her internet search the night before.

“Hello professor,” she greeted him. He made a rude face at her but before he could say anything, Tricia began buzzing excitedly.

 “Hi Alice! We met Altair at the coffee shop, and he was reading and eating a sandwich so we said we should go visit Threads, and…”

            “She doesn’t need the intimate details.” Lacy smiled at Alice. “Hi.”

            “Come on in, we were just closing up the shop for a few hours, thought we would do a brunch up at my place. Want to join?”

            The girls agreed enthusiastically, and Altair nodded, tucking the book underneath his arm as he entered the shop.

            “Hey,” Lacy said, as they stepped into the doorway. “You know that crazy Witch that made that prophesy about you?”

            “Something about blood and death?” Alice turned and led them into the backroom and up the stairs.

            “Yeah. She’s in the coffee shop at the bar by the window. Looks like she’s keeping an eye on the shop.”

            Alice paused for a moment upon hearing this piece of news, then she continued, not sure what she should do about it.

“I suppose if she wants to sit there and watch the shop, I can’t stop her. I don’t know what she thinks is going to happen.”

            “Or you don’t want to know,” Altair said, as they climbed the stairs.

            “There’s no point thinking about it,” Alice said crossly. “I don’t know if I believe in prophecy anyway.”

            “Do you believe in magic?” Altair said ironically.

            “I didn’t,” she admitted.

Azura, Gabriel and Maya were waiting in the living room. The young woman was sitting next to Shakra, stroking the soft fur on the top of the Tiger’s head.

Alice reported as they entered, “So apparently Germaine is in the coffee shop and it looks like she might be watching Threads.”

            Azura scowled. “I wish that old bat would leave us alone.”

            “She’s just concerned I guess.” Alice shrugged. “Anyways, let’s change the subject and  talk about happy things for a change. I’m tired of doom and gloom and general unpleasantness.”

            “Shall we start lunch?” Azura gestured to the buffet style spread on the table that she and Maya had laid out. 

They sat on the couches to eat, informal and at ease, laughing at one another and poking fun at Altair when he talked with his mouth full.  In the middle of lunch Alice’s phone vibrated in the pocket of her sweater, making her jump. Altair leaned over in the chair next to her, trying to read the screen when she pulled it out.