“So Ramen Noodles it is.”

She rolled her eyes and I laughed as I pulled out some ingredients.

“What’re you making Chef Walker?” she asked, perching herself on top of the countertop.

“It’s a surprise,” I said, pressing my lips against hers. I let them linger there for a few seconds before setting to work. I took some leftover hamburger out of the refrigerator and heated it up in the microwave while I prepared our meal.

“What’s the hamburger for?” Zoe asked.

“Ralph, won’t he be hungry?”

“Aw, you’re thinking of the puppy? That’s so cute!”

I took the hamburger out of the microwave and put it in a plastic bowl for Ralph. He immediately pranced over to it, sniffed it, and then dug in.

“You’re spoiling him. I feed him Pedigree dog food,” Zoe said, giggling.

“Well if I’m making dinner for us, I might as well make it for Ralph too.” I bent down and rubbed his head. “Right Ralph?”

“You’re so sexy when you cook,” Zoe said, cocking an eyebrow.

“I’m sexy all the time.”

She rolled her eyes and threw a banana at me. We both burst into laughter.

~*~

“That was the best dinner I’ve had in a while,” Zoe called.

I stretched out across my bed. “That’s why I’m the chef,” I called back.

She came into my room and straddled me across my stomach. “Hello gorgeous.”

I chuckled and raised my eyebrows at her. “Hello there.”

She placed her lips on mine, and ran her fingers through my hair with a sense of urgency. I kissed her back, a bit confused as to this change in attitude.

“Zoe,” I said, breathing heavily, as she went to unbutton my shirt. “What are you doing?”

She slowly slid off her purity ring necklace and dropped it on the floor.

“Are you sure about this?”

“I’m sure,” she whispered, pressing her lips back onto mine.

“I don’t have any protection,” I said, pushing her off of me.

She reached down into her suitcase and handed me the box of condoms.

“You planned this?”

She smiled. “I hoped for it.”

~*~

Beep. Beep. Beep.

I quickly turned off my phone alarm and looked over at Zoe, who was still peacefully sleeping.

I slipped out of bed, careful to avoid hitting her, and got ready for track. Ralph looked at me with his big eyes. I scooped him up and scribbled Zoe a note, letting her know that I’d be back around 9 and I had Ralph. I grabbed my track bag and shoved Sheila into it. I ate a banana on my way down to the track fields.

“Hey Mason,” Coach Daniels called. He raised his eyebrows at me. “And you have a puppy…?”

“He looked at me with big eyes,” I complained, dropping my track bag on the floor. “How could I leave him?”

“And when did you get a puppy?”

“Oh, it’s not mine. It’s my girlfriend’s.”

“Yeah, okay. Because I carry around my girlfriend’s puppy all the time,” Trent said, shaking his head at me.