Chapter Two

CHAPTER TWO

I screamed and clenched at Tiff's hand. Tiff looked at me in horror. Belle had fainted and Shayne looked like he was about to cry. And in her corner, Liz was already sobbing. I looked around the crowd for my parents, who held each other, their faces stuck with grief. "Where are youuuu?" crooned Brinkley. I gingerly took a step toward the stage. Three Peacekeepers surrounded me, making sure I didn't escape, though two left, when they realized how small I was. I trembled as I stepped on the stage. "Any volunteers?" Brinkley asked. "Oh please someone volunteer!" I thought, but I knew that no one would. Tiff wouldn't because she had her family to care for, Liz, who was afraid of spiders and even dragonflies, knew that she had no chance of winning at all, and Belle had fainted. The only people who would risk their lives to volunteer for me were my parents, who were too old, and Shayne, who was a boy. Oh no! What if Shayne got reaped? That was hardly likely, but I didn't think that I would be either and look what happened! No one volunteered. Brinkley walked over to the other bowl. "And now the boys!" She put in her hand the second bowl and pulled out a name, "Guerrick Terra!" I didn't know Guerrick that well, but I knew he was a lot older than me. He was either sixteen or seventeen years old. I couldn't help it; I started crying. There was no way I was going to live if all the tributes were this much older than me! I was twelve! My name was only in one time, and yet I was chosen! I felt an ice cold hand on my cheek. I turned around and I saw Brinkley resting a hand on my face. "No tears!" she said, "Think of all the fun you're going to have in the Capitol!" What was she talking about? I was going to die in the Capitol! "Come on sweetie!" she said, "Shake hands with Guerrick!" I held Guerrick's hand and we shook. My hand was trembling. The Peacekeepers led us off the stage and shoved us into the enclosures where we were to wait until we were taken to the Capitol. This is where I would say goodbye to my parents. The door opened and the Peacekeeper said, "You have five minutes." Belle and Tiff walked in, followed by Liz. I was surprised that Liz's father had allowed her to come say goodbye. I hugged them, one by one. Then a serious look struck Liz's face. "Zeze," she said, "Of the four of us, you have the best chance for survival in the games. You are a great athlete and you got extra training at Districts One and Two! You are also super smart and can tinker with technology. If you find anything mechanical, take it apart. It might help you with your weapons or protect you!"

"Liz! Face it; I'm going to die! I'll miss you guys all, but I can't live!" I sobbed.

"Don't say that! Try! Try for us! For your parents! For Shayne!" she said. I looked at her bruised face. She had such an earnest expression; I knew she meant what she said. "Liz..." I started.

"Time is up!" shouted the Peacekeeper.

"Bye, everyone!" I sobbed.

"Bye, Zeze!" Belle shouted. The Peacekeeper led them out, and almost immediately my parents entered. "Zeze!" my mom sobbed, "Honey, I love you!"

"I know Mom; I love you too." My father hugged me, and it was only then that I realized how much I loved my parents. They were obviously nicer than Liz's father, and they were even nicer than Shayne's parents, who were so mad at him this morning. "You can win, Z," my dad said. Him calling me by his pet name for me, Z, made me cry harder. "You can! Go to the edge where there is a force field. You know how to make force fields. I know your supplies are limited, but what is better than an actual force field to examine? If you can make one, surround yourself. Then they can't hurt you!"

"Daddy! That's impossible! You know I can't do that in the arena!" I cried.

"You can always try, dear. Try for me!" he said. Then, my mom just explained to me how to make a force field more in depth, so I would be able to. I tried to memorize everything she told me. "Time is up!" the Peacekeeper shouted, "Next!" My parents waved goodbye. Shayne walked inside. "Hey, Zeze," he said.

"Hey, Shayne," I said.

"Listen, did anyone talk to you about force fields?" he asked.

"Yeah. My parents!"

"Good. So listen up. I have books on it at home," he said earnestly.

"Shayne! How can books help me? I'm not allowed to take them in. You don't even have them now!"

"Did you forget the communicators again? Your earrings can be your district token. They won't find out what they can do."

"Oh Shayne! Why didn't I come up with that? Gosh, I can be so dumb sometimes. Thank you. You're so smart!"

"Don't forget Zeze Zinc; I want you to live!"

"Shayne, I want to live, too. But if I don't, I'll miss you."

"Time is up!" the Peacekeeper shouted.

"Bye Shayne!" I shouted as he was pushed out. I was alone in the room. No one else visited me. A few minutes later, Brinkley came in. "Time to go on the train!" she said. She gently pushed me out and I saw a white train. She led me up the steps. Inside was very neat and orderly. It was filled with food. Apart from Guerrick, seated in the train were a man and a girl. I recognized them as two of the previous victors. "Zeze, Guerrick, this is Chloro and Phyllis. They were two of the victors from District Three. One of our living victors is not in a good state to mentor, due to the trauma from the games. The other three have already passed away." Phyllis was petite, with red hair and glasses. I doubt that it was strength that helped her win. Chloro, on the other hand. was tall, strong and muscular. I thought that Phyllis would be good help for me. Though I was pretty strong, there was no way I was going to depend on my strength to win. After all, I was only twelve years old, 5 feet 3 inches, and 95 pounds. Guerrick could benefit from Chloro's help. He was about six feet and seemed pretty strong. I hope he wouldn't try to kill me. I asked Phyllis how she won, and I realized that she was very smart. She made booby traps, by surrounding her hiding place with the mines that would go off if a tribute stepped off a pedestal too early. She stored on food and hid in her cave. Whenever someone approached it, they would explode, so she never even had to do anything except hunt and gather a little in the beginning. Wow! If my force fields worked, I wouldn't have to do anything. I remembered that Phyllis won six years ago; our district had a big party. "Phyllis, how old are you?" I inquired.

"Nineteen," she said. Oh! She was only thirteen in the games, and she was obviously smaller than me then, since she is around my height now. If she could win, so could I! I had a strong feeling of hope that moment.

"Time for dinner!" Brinkley called. The table was set so fancily! I was hungry and the food looked so good! I sat down and slowly started eating. Brinkley smiled at me but she shook her head in disgust at Guerrick, who lived in the Taze and was digging in with his hands. Brinkley was apparently a fan of table manners. Suddenly I heard a mechanical sounding voice, "We will arrive at the Capitol in five minutes! Capitol in five minutes!" I looked out the window and my mouth dropped open.