Chapter 1

I threw all of the pills into my mouth and left them there, the taste was awful but I kept them on my tongue. I took a long look around myself, the grass was wet with dew and nights dark blanket was just begin to settle. I opened the bottle of water that was stood by my side and steadied my shaking hand. The liquid was cold to my lips and I shivered, the darkness was gathering around me so quickly and I began to see shapes. Shapes that scared me, shapes that sent shocks of terror down my spine. The cold liquid poured into my mouth, hitting my sensitive teeth and making me wince. It began to, painfully slowly; push the pills down my throat. When they were all gone I took one last gulp of water in hope that it would rid the foul taste from my tongue.

It took some time, an hour maybe, before I felt my eyes droop. My heart was beating so slowly that I lifted a heavy hand to press it against my chest. I fell back onto the wet grass and took slow breaths, in through my nose and out through my now dry mouth. The dark terrified me as it encircled me, robbing me of my vision, but it was nothing compared to the darkness I encountered when my eyes finally fell closed. I felt consciousness leave me and my last breath was ripped from my chest.

Why am I here? What have I done? The field was so bright, the sky above the brightest, most beautiful of blues. Only two things were on my mind as I looked about the field that shimmered with a dream like quality. My first thought was why have you done this do yourself? The second thought, which hit me hardest, was of my best friend, Rayne. Why did you leave me alone? I thought you cared. I held back unwelcome tears as the questions asked in my head were in her gentle voice. I imagined her bright blue eyes melting into tears of the same startling colour.

I tried to sit up but couldn’t, I felt as though something heavy was weighing me down. But it was in the brief moment that my head lifted from the cool ground that I saw her, the girl, no, the woman that was knelt beside me. The long grass danced around her, it had grown... How long had I been here? The sun shone down on the swaying green blades as they battled against each other in the gentle breeze. She was watching me, the woman, but I couldn’t tell how I knew. She had no face, no eyes, and no hair to put a colour to. She was a silhouette but I knew that she was beautiful. A soft hand caressed my cheek and wiped away fresh tears before they could hit the ground.

Why? I heard my voice but not once did I feel my lips move. Why did I do it?

I do not know, my sweet. But I do know that I will cannot, will not let you go. I swallowed, still tasting the pills on my tongue. I have other plans for you.  I felt her smile and, although I couldn’t see it, its beauty warmed me to my core. Someone of such purity should not go this way; I have other plans for you. I felt myself being lifted into a sitting position but no one had helped. It was as though I had floated, but I was grateful for not having to use energy I was sure I didn’t have. This will hurt. Her silky voice whispered, I didn’t mind. I was hers to do with as she pleased. She reached long, slender arms around me and I leaned forward, resting my head against her shoulder.

She was right, it did hurt. But I felt her take that pain from me, feeding it into herself so as to make it closer to bearable. We cried in each other’s arm, the pain in my back was like nothing I had ever felt before and when she reluctantly released me from her embrace, the pain only worsened. I cried out as she led me back on the ground, the grass looming over me, shielding my eyes from the bright sunlight.

And then I was asleep again, all pain forgotten. The darkness swallowed me whole and I could do nothing but let it take me.