How to Know if Your Dialogue is Good & Improve It Even If It Is

Dialogue is when your characters are speaking to each. For the most part, dialogue usually does and should drive a story. That is why it is so important to nail dialogue in your story. 

What makes good dialogue?

1. It shows, it doesn't tell. What I mean by this is that there is usually more left unsaid than said. This gives mystery to your story. And, in real conversation (unless you're speaking to my husband who will tell you every detail of his day) more is left unsaid than said. If your characters are speaking in long monologues or you are using dialogue to go deep into backstory or explanations—not good.

2. Less is more. I don't mean less dialogue in your story and more description--generally speaking, there should be A LOT of dialogue. I mean that when characters are speaking, don't put in dialogue that is not needed to propel the story forward. Having two characters discuss their morning or their preference in shoes or what they ate for dinner--unless it is important to the plot--does not belong in your story. This is a good rule for every line, every word of your story. If it is not necessary, cut it. Even if you love it, cut it. Your number one goal should be to write a great story, so your loyalty is to the story not a funny scene or a witty response. 

3. Characters sound like real people. To make your characters sound (in someone's head) like real people on paper requires an intentional ear. You must play your scenes in your head before you write them. Listen to the uniqueness of each of your character's voices. Don't add all the um's and like's and other speech tics. If a character has a heavy speech tick, and it is essential to the plot that we understand this about them, give us a light sprinkling. The reader will get that the person says "like" too much if you insert a "like" here and there, but if you put forty-five "likes" on a page, that is just annoying. You reader will leave your story. 

4. Variety of action & dialogue tags. A dialogue tag is when you use "said." An action tag is when you don't use "said." For example:

Dialogue tag: "Go ahead. I'll catch up," Vicky said. 

Action tag: "Go ahead. I'll catch up." Vicky waved her friends on and then turned down the dirt path. 

If you use an action tag, you do not need to use "said." By placing the characters action after the dialogue, we know who is speaking. And since you are already following proper grammar rules, you do not have two characters dialogue in the same paragraph. (We'll talk more grammar in later posts, but I highly recommend reading Grammar Girl's Quick & Dirty Tips). 

Variety keeps your story from sounding robotic. Also try placing action tags before dialogue to mix it up so you don't just have a running stream of dialogue, tag; dialogue, tag. 

Those are some quick tips. There is A LOT more to be said about dialogue (no pun intended), but I'll leave you with A Few Sure-Fire Ways To Learn To Write Better Dialogue:

1. Go sit somewhere and listen to people speak. Being a better writer is about being a better observer of people. How they act. How they move. How they look. And how they speak. Bring a notebook along in case you get any ideas. A good place to do this is in a coffee shop or cafe. Don't eavesdrop, just sit and listen. 

2. Grab your favorite book, open to your favorite dialogue scene, and copy it down onto paper. Feel the words as they come out. Notice how your favorite author writes. This is good for learning how to write better stories in general. Think of it like when your parent or teacher put their hand over yours when you were learning to print and guided you. Or when you traced the letters to learn how to form them. When you "trace" you favorite stories you pick up on little things that will make your writing much better. 

The best way to learn is by doing, but not just randomly doing. Find someone who is doing what you want to do and follow them. Study them. Learn all you can from them. 

Happy writing. Hope this helps. 

Questions are always welcome.