Chapter 24

Jane didn't know if it was possible to hear a heart break, but in that moment she swore the sound rang in her ears. She instantly felt empty, alone, scared. Her eyes followed him until he angrily slammed the door on his car and sped away. Jane stood there, frozen in shock and not really sure if the events that had just happened were real. She didn't just break up with Robert, no no no no, she would just wake up tomorrow and everything would be like it normally was she reassured herself. Hopefully, he'd even sneak in her room and give her a goodnight kiss this evening.

Jane nodded and started walking home, soothing her mind with these silly and untrue thoughts while her heart screamed differently. Other students still lingered in the school's parking lot, despite the barking principal telling them to leave. She cut through the crowds, deciding to take the long way home so she could gather herself and her thoughts before arrving home.

Leaving the school grounds and starting towards the long road that led her home, Jane noticed a car trailing behind her slowly. Turning her head, she met the evil and sulking eyes of Lois who turned her lip up in a smirk before driving off. Jane rolled her eyes before wiping them and quickening her pace. 

---

Jane honestly didn't know how long it had taken her to get home today but she arrived in front of her house, snapping her out of her clouded thoughts. The sun was nearly set and clouds dotted every visible part of the sky. She sighed before walking inside. 

Her father's radio was playing music between the static every five seconds making it possible to hear the song but still annoying. He sat on his chair with a beer in hand as he hummed along to it. Jane smiled slightly to herself. Well, at least not everything had changed. She went into the kitchen and found her mom washing and putting away some dishes. 

"Hey, ma," Jane mumbled softly.

"Jane! Where have you been, sweetie? It's nearly sun down. Dinner is in the oven if you're hungry," Her mother exclaimed, without even turning around.

I could be bleeding to death or have a bullet wound in me and neither of my parents would know, she thought to herself.

"Yeah, okay." Jane sighed before sliding her shoes off and heading upstairs.

"Jane?" Her father called out after hearing her footsteps. 

"Yeah, hey Pops." She responded, stopping midstep.

"Why are you home so late?" 

"I stayed for some extra credit at school, sorry I didn't ring." 

"Yeah, yeah. Go get washed up."

Jane nodded and continued upstairs until she finally reached her room. Collapsing on her bed, she felt another fit of sobs coming on but her body wouldn't allow it. She felt so...numb. Nothing would ever be the same anymore, she realized. Sitting up slowly on her bed, Jane glanced out her window which had a note stuck to it. She mashed her eyebrows together in confusion before getting up and opening her window to grab the note. It read:

Jane, I feel like shit. Worse than shit, the germs that live on shit. Just give me a chance to talk to ya, please. 

Calvin

She looked around her room, grabbing a small rock from the ones she collects and wrapping it in the paper. Jane then walked back over to her window and threw it at Calvin's window with just enough force so it wouldn't crack. Not a minute later, his small face was at the window and he opened it.

"Hi." He said simply.

Jane waved her hand, signaling him to come over. Calvin promptly nodded and ducked his head back inside to go change. Flopping back onto her bed, Jane's head filled with images of Robert and his voice flowed through her ears. She sighed, rubbing her temples just as Calvin pulled himself up into her room.