Fiscal Cliff (a play)

Hey everyone, I have decided to post a play that some of my friends and I, in creative writing, came up with. It's pretty funny if I do say so myself. I played Mindi when we had to act out the play. 

-Kaiyla

Enjoy.

Fiscal Cliff

Scene 1

(The scene opens up with a view of an office workroom. There are four desks facing the audience, each with chairs positioned so that anyone sitting at the desks is completely visible. They are staggered to give the stage dimension. One of the employees is sleeping on the desk, wrapped up in a blanket and doesn’t seem to be even alive. Another employee, Mindi is sitting at a desk, painting her nails like there is no tomorrow gazing at the credit card on her desk.  Another woman sits in the desk next to her, busily typing away. Her hair is frizzy and her glasses are big and bulky. In one of the corners another man sits, eating trail mix and humming a relaxation hum. Finally, another man walks in. His name is Chairman Cliff Hanger. He walks in wearing casual street clothes, but seems very professional. None of the workers’ pay attention to him. Nothing seems to be amiss.)

Cliff: So, how’s everyone’s work coming along?

Edward: (Humming in yoga position) Oooookkkkkkaaaaaaayyyyyy…

(Groggily, Herbert looks up, and begins to foolishly type on a book. Everything seems to be alright.)

Shirley: (Excitedly gets up and moves over toward Cliff.) I finished the report that I was working on. It was such a wonderful adventure. I felt like a Hobbit on his way to Mordor whilest writing it. It took so long to do, just like the time it took to destroy the ring. How convenient.

(Everyone’s faces go blank and emptily look out into the crowd, Shirley scurries off in embarrassment.)

Cliff: Well, um… Thanks for this. (Ignores her comment, and pushes her away and moves on with his discussion.) So, I heard something surprising in the workroom earlier today. I honestly never expected to hear anything like this. (Pauses to take a sip of the coffee he carries.) It was mind-blowing. I honestly doubt you guys will hear anything this important. Now…Where should I begin? I guess it all started when…No, no, it started before that…Oh yeah, so I was leaving my office when- (The obnoxious ring of Cliff’s cell phone startled the employees more than it startled Cliff. He answers the phone.) Mr. Hanger speaking. Yes? Oh, yes, I’m on my way. (Hangs up). Sorry guys, I’m late for a meeting. I’ll tell you about the story later, it just might change things around here.

Scene 2

Mindi: (Mindi walks on stage. She isn’t paying attention to anything around her, but is more focused on the fact that her nails are chipping.) Oh! Come on! I just painted you like two hours ago! (Cliff is in the room next to her, but she doesn’t notice until his phone goes off again. He answers, and she moves her head closer to the door so she can eaves drop.) I wonder what gossip I can pick up from this…

Cliff: Hello, Chairman Hanger speaking. Oh, yes, I know about the little dispute we have been having. I just hope that no one has to get hurt because of it.

Mindi: (She gasps and her eyes widen.) What?

Cliff: (Continuing on but not noticing that Mindi is there.) Yes, I know of the consequences. Unfortunately, I think it is about time to let go. Only of just one person, though. Yes, things are going to change, but hopefully I won’t lose everyone. This is going to be a difficult transition.