From James Sirius to Harry James

From: James Sirius Potter

To: Harry James Potter

Written on the back of an old Transfiguration essay, which recieved an 'E'.

Dear Dad,

I was sent to the heasmaster's office today; yeah, yeah, I know, I'm sorry, but it wasn't my fault! That prat Scoripus Malfoy keeps making fun of Rose's pigtails — I'm just defending her. Don't tell Mum.

Anyway, so I was waiting for the professor to come back to get me and I was looking around the room at the paintings of old headmasters when I heard your name whispered in between two men:

One was really old with half-moon glasses and a long, white beard. The plaque under his frame said Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore.

The other man had greasy black hair and a sallowed face; his name was Severus Snape.

I met Al's namesakes today, didn't I, Dad?

I went over to them and they stopped talking. That Snape fellow said something snarkily, something like, "Oh, how I've dreaded this day: Potter's offspring's admittance to Hogwarts."

Dumbledore shot him a warning look. It was then I brought up Albus (my brother, not the old bloke). Snape looked really flustered.

Just thought I should tell you,

—James

PS: Turns out Snape's portrait wasn't originally put up in the headmaster's office because he abandoned his post. I've never heard of something similar happening at Hogwarts. Did you have anything to do with that?