Chapter 29: Sirius' Exit

Percy’s POV

The shelves opposite us exploded as the curses found their marks. All around us, pearly-white figures floated in the air as hundreds glass spheres burst apart. The noise from the crashing glass and splintered wood raining down upon us was deafening.

Suddenly, a voice rose from among the chaos.

“RUN!” Harry roared.

Whirling around, I grabbed Annabeth’s hand and began pulling her forward. However, she resisted. I turned around to see her struggling with Thalia, who was stumbling as fast as she could. She may have regained some of her strength but she still wasn’t strong enough to sprint. Without a word, I grabbed her arm and heaved her on my back, her arms clasping around my neck. Immediately, the three of us sprinted after Harry, who had a hold on Hermione’s robes and was dragging her forward, the other arm raised protectively over his head. Wincing as a piece of glass struck me on my arm, I watched him elbow a Death Eater in the face. Everybody was yelling and cries of pain rose above the massive din as the shelves collapsed among themselves, raining down glass and wood.

Annabeth gave a cry of surprise when three figures suddenly ran past us, their arms over their heads. It was Ron, Ginny and Luna. Inwardly, I was panicking. Where was Tyson, Grover, Nico, Clarisse?  What about the rest? Were they okay?

We were now at the end of row ninety-seven. I squinted forward, trying to see through the dust that had somehow flew upwards when a shelf had come crashing down in front of us. My heart plummeted when I saw that we had lost track of Harry.

“No, no, no,” I cursed under my breath as sounds of pursuit came from behind us.

“This way,” Annabeth hissed, pulling me towards the right.

“Come on, where are you?” I heard her muttering as we flew forward.

Hope bubbled inside of me as a faint outline of a door started to take shape. Fueled with a new determination, I ran faster. Annabeth was already close to the door but as she neared to the door, I realized that something was wrong when it didn’t fly open like it was supposed to. My heart sank when I notice the lack of doorknob.

“They must have sealed it shut behind them once they were through,” Annabeth groaned with frustration.

“There has to be another way out. We just have to find it,” I panted. Thalia suddenly weighed a whole lot more. I was tiring. That was not good news.

“Try the left,” Thalia spoke up. “Hurry; I can hear them coming.”

Taking her advice, I followed behind Annabeth as she started towards the left. We ran through the row, passing shelves after shelves of glass orbs. I kept an eye out on the wall on our right, trying to spot any way out.

“I see something,” Annabeth suddenly murmured after a minute, speeding up. “I think it’s a door.”

I hurried after her, praying hard that she was right. She slowed down as we got closer and much to my relief, the door flew open.

“Let’s go,” she said quietly, leading the way into the unknown room.

I looked around cautiously as we stepped inside. It seemed to be some sort of corridor. Both sides were completely lined with mirrors. It reminded me of those halls of mirrors that could be found at carnivals. Thankfully, the corridor was perfectly straight so we couldn’t get lost.

“What the –“ Thalia breathed behind me as we passed the first few mirrors.

I glanced at the mirror beside me as we passed and my face paled. My steps faltered and slowed down. The image reflected back in the mirror was not some distorted image of myself. Instead, it was showing my entire life. I watched as I was born, as I was sent to school, as I met Grover, as I joined Camp Half-Blood for the first time …