Chapter 1

Chapter 1

It is Monday June 9th. John wakes up to the sound of his alarm clock. He feels the same occasional headache that he gets when he has not had blood in several days.

John needs to consume blood nearly every day from a live or recently dead human. At the most, the blood from a live or recently dead human only lasts John two or three weeks. By the third week, if he has not had blood from a live human, his body becomes weak. After John has not had blood in a month, he will quickly die.

John gets out of bed then rubs the sleep out of his eyes. He walks across his room and trips over one of his boots.

The phone suddenly rings. John answers the phone, and immediately realizes it’s his mom, Kate.

“Good morning, son! How did you sleep last night?” Kate says.

“I slept fine, but I tripped over my shoe when I got up.” John answers.

“Well, did you hurt yourself?”

“Not really, I mean, it will heal quickly.”

“Well, that’s good. I just called to say Good Morning and to check up on you. Well, I guess I will talk to you later, John. I love you! Bye!”

John hangs the phone up.He walks into the bathroom.

After John gets out of the shower, he shaves and brushes his teeth and puts some sunscreen on his face, neck, and hands. John puts on his suit that he is required to wear to work. John has been a mortician for about two years, now. He is 21 years old and only two years older than his girlfriend.

On the way to his car, John stops to take a look in the bedroom mirror. John is very thin, with very short dark hair. He is about five feet and eleven inches in height. He thinks to himself, ‘Nice, but I could use a new suit.’ John heads out of the front door and gets in his car. He drives away.

The funeral home is several miles away. John turns on the radio to a rock station. He gets near to the intersection, and the light turns red.

John looks to the left and notices a night club. He wonders about the club. The light turns green, and John takes off. Several minutes and a few miles later, John arrives at the funeral home.

The funeral home is very old, and it is located a few miles outside of town. It is a dark two story building with concrete steps and big pillars on the front of the building. The floors are black and white checkered in color.

John gets out of the car, and goes inside the building. As soon as he gets inside, his cell phone rings. It’s his girlfriend, Angela.

“Hello honeybun, how are you feeling?”

John replies, “I am better now that you called me. When are we going out again?”

Angela says, “Soon I hope. I will be free this Friday.”

“How about we go eat at the restaurant that we talked about a few days ago?”

“Sure, John! That sounds nice.”

“Hello, Angela! I hate to let you go so soon, but I need to get something for my headache.”

“Okay, John! I hope you feel better. Bye!”

“Talk to you later.”

John hangs the phone up and slips it into his pocket.

John goes to sit down on one of the lobby chairs. He thinks about how he needs more blood soon. There has not been a death in over a week.