#9 We could make it work

A/N - This was loosely based on the song What Hurts The Most by Rascal Flatts, which was suggested by an anon on my tumblr. Make sure to tell me what you think about it, I could use some good feedback right now.

And having so much to say

Today was it. Cole was finally going to confess to Dalton how he felt. Cole had loved Dalton for so long, but he was unsure of how he felt back, and was afraid of rejection, so he had kept it under wraps for the longest he could. 

But now he had built up the courage to tell Dalton what he felt. 

~fast forward to Dalton meeting Cole at his house~

"Uhh, Dalton?" Cole asked

"Yeah?" Dalton said

Cole fidgeted for a moment, nerves building up "I-I have something to tell you. It's kind of huge."

Dalton hesitated for a moment, "I uh, kind of have something to say as well." 

Cole got excited for a moment. Was he going to tell Dalton the same thing? That he had feelings for him? Cole's hopes were set high for a moment, but he still allowed Dalton to share his news first. 

And watching you walk away

"I'm going to....leave IM5."

Cole's heart sunk in his chest to the point where he was sure he heard it shatter.

"What?" Cole said in shock

"Um, yeah, I just...this whole pop thing isn't really for me....you know? I’ve already talked it over with management and gotten all the official shit out of the way, but I wanted you to be the first one of the guys I told." Dalton said, confirming the reality of the situation to Cole

Cole couldn’t breathe. He felt like there was a weight sitting on his chest, like someone was pinning him to the ground and punching him over and over. Cole merely sat there, wide-eyed and open mouthed, tears welling up in his eyes.

He was going to tell Dalton how he felt….and now he would never get the chance to even try.

Dalton saw how Cole was reacting and he mumbled, in the most sincere way possible, “Cole….”

Dalton reached out and wrapped his arms around Cole, bringing him into a hug, and rubbing his back, because Dalton knew that this wasn’t the easiest of news to handle. No words came out of Cole’s mouth, but tears fell from his eyes silently, as he did his best to not make any sound. Dalton pulled away from Cole and looked at him, tears now streaming down his face.

Not seeing that loving you
That’s what I was trying to do

Cole wasn’t sure if this was the best idea, hell, it was probably the worst possible decision he could make in that moment, but something willed him to reach out and cup Dalton’s face, bringing him into a kiss.

Dalton backed away for a second, startled by Cole’s sudden actions, but he came to his senses and kissed back, relaxing his shoulders and wrapping his arms around Cole’s neck. He felt Cole’s tear soaked cheeks pressed up against his own and for a moment, one small, short moment, everything seemed okay.

Everything seemed in place, it felt to Dalton as if this is where he should be, where he always should’ve been. And Dalton thought for a spilt second that he would be able to be happy…with Cole. That they could live together and go on dates, get married someday, adopt a kid, because Dalton had had feelings for Cole for the longest time, but too many things kept getting in the way. Girlfriends, management, business, clashing career dreams.