Chapter 6: Ceremony of Catastrophe

"Are you sure you want to go through with this, Aleks?"

"Eddie, shut the fuck up. We're so close to getting what we've been wanting; don't even ask me those stupid kinds of questions."

"It's risky. I'm still going for it, but I'm just telling you to be careful."

"I know what I'm doing."

"Aleks- he... Aleks! Wait up!"

-

Jordan watched over the once empty courtyard before the entrance to his castle as it slowly flooded with people. Lights, flowers, streamers, and all sorts of fancy decorations were being thrown about the area as they prepared for the ceremony tonight. The villagers laughed as they skipped along, but Jordan was left biting harshly into his fingernail, pondering over his decisions.

He knew his decisions to bring back James and Ze were good, but what did Seamus think of it? He obviously didn't favor them, and was afraid of losing his position. Jordan could tell. He'd heard small hints of it in his sentences and had read it from his expressions.

No matter. Seamus would always be right at his side if it was what he wanted as well. Jordan wouldn't let a new guy take his place that easily. Hell, maybe they'd become better friends than Jordan and Seamus.

He trailed off into the weaving colors below him, sighing peacefully. He didn't need to worry. Today would be a day of celebration and relaxation for him and everyone else. A day from their straining jobs to come together and have a party.

A smile curved it's way across Jordan's face as he stretched his legs out in front of him and sank back into his throne. Wrex purred lightly in slumber beside him, pawing his heavy black claws into the fluffy red cushion he was laid out on.

As the light clanging of armor had entered the courtyard, Jordan looked back to the side to see the trainees filing in. The smile on his face widened even more as he shot up from out of his seat and back to the window, frantically scanning for James and Ze in the sea of shining silver. His hands clasped at the rocky sill as he leaned forward, nearly throwing himself out of the castle and down the cliff. There were some taller knights, and some shorter and stubbier, but he didn't spot the two. And it didn't help that some of them had decided to wear their helmets.

He thrust himself back up lightly, pushing off of the sill with his fingertips and turning in the direction of the nearby halls.

"Seamus?" He called out, tensing up.

"Yes, my king?" Seamus said, somehow appearing behind him, between him and the window. Jordan jumped and spun around to see the wizard smiling at him.

"God, Seamus, stop that!" He laughed softly and gave his friend a small nudge on the shoulder. Before becoming too playful, however, he wiped the smile from his face and cleared his throat, extending his back out to tower over the shorter man.

"Have you... seen James and Steven?"

Seamus' eyes stayed still in a stone-cold stare, never shying away from his own.

"No."

"You did do as I asked, right?"

"Yes." The corner of Seamus' mouth twitched in anger. "And it's sickening to think that you don't trust me."

"I never said I don't trust you, I just asked you a question." Jordan sighed and rubbed one of his eyes vigorously. "God, meow."

Seamus chuckled quietly at his attempt at swearing and turned on his heel to leave. Jordan made his way over towards the window once again to continue his search.