The Mute Mistress: Chapter 26

*This chapter contains mature content*

A/N: Before you begin this chapter, I would like to say "Thank you very much!" to all of you who have read this far, added the book to your reading lists, voted, commented, and have fanned. I really do appreciate the support and I am beyond pleased with the reception of The Mute Mistress. Again, thank you so so so much! 

Now... onto the chapter... >:)

_________________________________________________________

Chapter 26

"Are you sure?" Nathan asked, examining her face carefully. Five minutes had passed since he parked the small SUV in front of Mary's apartment.

Mary straightened her back, and her little hand squeeze made him smile in another anxious moment. The gesture was already a new habit and it meant the world to him. After sitting in the passenger's side of the small SUV for ten minutes

She left the vehicle and footed it into the apartment up to '405'. The door opened before she could slide in the key. Her sister eyed her heavy breathing carefully. Buddy was fast asleep on a blanket on the floor, and Freya hobbled from the kitchen. "Mary Berry?"

She pressed her back against the door and took a few stabilizing breaths.

Her sister moved to the window. "Nathan is outside?"

Mary glanced at her family and said exhaustively, "We want to go away for a few days."

Freya widened her eyes. Attention fell on the most vocal Georgia. Nellie focused on the ground with a blank face. Since they went to the mansion, her older sister kept quiet about her private conversation with Nathan. It didn't matter how much she begged for insight into their conversation before she heard his truth. She felt lost, living in a world where her sister withheld transparency. It wasn't until Nellie's last text that she understood what her sister's roving silence meant.

I trust you, no matter what.

Surprise riddled Mary stiff when brown eyes surveyed her without anger or sadness and Nellie said. "Go. Go with him."

The question fell from her mouth in a cracked whisper. "Why?"

The room watched Nellie momentarily return her attention through the barred windows. "I don't know, but it feels like the right thing to do. And I know neither one of us wants to live in these cages anymore."

Mary's lip quivered hearing her sister repeat, "I trust you, Mary."

Freya lowered her head, covering her mouth. For those awake, there wasn't a dry eye in the room. The sisters embraced before when Nellie asked where they were going. Mary shook her head. "I don't know but he said I needed my passport."

Quickly, Nellie sorted through her bedroom drawer of family files and found the little booklet. "This is crazy," Nellie wiped her face. "But I think this is the kind of crazy we need. Get out of here!"

Nathan pushed away from the car seeing Mary was followed. "Is everything okay?"

To his surprise, his lover's sister smiled. "Everything's fine."

He pressed his palms together and raised them before his mouth. "Thank you."

"Please take care of her."

"I promise."

Mary smiled as Nathan approached her teary-eyed Nellie. A bigger smile wiggled at her lips and she accepted his hug. He held her tight, as she cried for a few of his tempered breathing. When Nathan returned behind the wheel, they didn't take off immediately. Mary rolled down her window and both sisters signed, "I love you."