Chapter 3 - Power isnt everything

© Sandra Corton 2014

Chapter 3 - Power isn't everything

Caspian’s POV

I swear I have to be the worst, most cowardly person to ever exist on this planet. I let her walk away and didn’t say anything. I wanted to call out to her, tell her how much better she had made my stay here so far but my throat clogged up.

“You made the right move you know.” A smarmy voice that I recognised as Cole said from next to me.

“Whatever you reckon.” I stupidly agreed as Quill ran over and hugged me close. I had enjoyed holding Winter’s hand last night a hundred times more than being hugged by this girl.

“Trust me you are better off without her. She’s nothing but a trouble maker.” Quill said maliciously and I couldn’t believe that.

Winter had been nothing but nice to me since the day I met her. This is the way I repay her kindness? By befriending people that seemed to make her life a misery, smart move moron!

It was official I had sunk to the lowest low that I possibly could. I felt like dirt for not defending her. Who cared that she didn’t have any powers? Most kids our age dreamt of being superheros but never had the chance. Here I stood once again being the weakling, letting people walk all over me and not defending myself let alone poor Winter. This only ever made me realise how much I had never deserved my powers.

So that’s how my first day as an official superhero school student began. Me feeling lower than scum while surrounded by people that wanted to praise me that I could never consider a friend. Winter had been my friend however briefly, she had seen beyond the powers I had to who I was inside. And now I had completely blown that!

The hallway was full to the brim of students but I never once saw Winter. I wanted to tell her that I chose her. She was far more interesting than any of these other idiots surrounding me. I couldn’t see her though; it was as though she had disappeared.

My heart dropped like a stone the moment I saw her up on the stage with her Dad when we all had to meet in the hall.. Her face looked as hard as granite and her posture radiated an attitude that I had never seen her with. It was a tough, no nonsense exterior that looked rather scary

She didn’t look at all like the smiling, carefree, laughing Winter that had made me cookies. This was the hardened version of her that everyone seemed to accept and sneer at even. I knew though that it wasn’t truly who she was. I had seen the true Winter up until this very morning. Now I was afraid I might never get her back.

My hands plunged into my pockets and I found a mess of a crumpled cookie still in its wrapper. I glanced at her and was surprised when those gorgeous grey eyes met mine however briefly. She simply skimmed right over me though before glancing away, nothing in her face showing any recognition at all.

I deserved that didn’t I? It shouldn’t hurt but it does. My chest went tight when no outward emotion filled her face. She thought I had chosen them, I finally realised. I hadn’t though it was simply my ‘go with what everyone else says is right’ way of thinking. How could I make this better?