Chapter Fifty Two

I didn't listen, I didn't believe him. I was really unfair to not listen to his explanations. I blamed him for the longest time. I blamed every single thing that went wrong on him. All he had ever done was try to protect me. Keep me safe. He didn't leave me because of another woman or because he was tired of me.

I felt Valerie's hand on my shoulder as I cried. 

"Where is he?" I looked up at her with tears still in my eyes.

"He was here ealier while you were unconscious." She answered. "He didn't tell me where he went. Bigla na lang siyang umalis. He thought you lost the baby. I've seen my brother injured and half dead but I've never seen him so... broken."

Gusto ko siyang makausap. I wanted to ask him a lot of things. I wanted to know why he didn't tell me the truth. Why he had to hide it from me.

I was about to ask Valerie to call him but before I could, her phone rang. I was hoping it would be Trstan. I wanted to talk to him so bad kahit sa phone lang. She digged through her bag and took out her phone.

"Is it Tristan?" I asked, my voice full of anticipation.

She looked at her phone screen and shook her head. "Hindi ko alam kung kaninong number ito." Sabi niya. "Excuse me, I'll just answer this call." She stood up and got out of the room.

I looked at Phoenix, who was standing quietly next to my bed with his hands in both his pockets. 

"Nahuli ba ang mga gumawa sa kanya nun." I asked him.

He nodded his head.

"Why did they do it to him? What did they want?" 

He shrugged his shoulders. "Kahit anong pilit namin ayaw nilang sabihin kung bakit nila ginawa iyon o kung sino ang nag-utos sa kanila na gawin iyon."

"Bakit hindi mo sinabi sa akin?" 

Kumunot ang noo niya. "I did. Nagbigay ako ang sulat kay uncle Harold para ipadala sayo sa  New York."

"I- I never got any letter."

"You wrote back." 

"No, I didn't." I said, almost whispering. Si Harold... siya ang sumagot ng sulat. I shouldn't be surprised. He would do everything para mapaglayo lang kami ni Tristan. I didn't realize I was already clenching my fists in anger. "What did I say in the letter?"

"Na kinasal na kayo ni Jason at wala ka ng pakialam kahit mamatay pa si Tristan." Sabi ni Phoenix. 

"It wasn't me. I would never say that!" I shook my head, my voice coming out harsher than I intended to. Naiiyak ako sa galit kay Harold at sa awa kay Tristan.