51. My First Wedding with Sai!

My First Wedding with Sai! (C. Srinivas and Shalini)

May 6, 1986

Whitefield, Karnataka

Dear Sis,

HAPPY MARRIAGE!

Hope that you are well and fine and happy and healthy and holy – your husband also. 

This seems a good place to tell you about the marriage I was at – yes, my first ever marriage I've been to. Swami had me go to this one instead of to yours, what to do.

It happened on the 30th April. Swami had arranged everything for the couple (Indians). A couple days before, one of my friends arrived from Scotland. She had an invitation because her father knew the couple to be married. Only those with invitations were allowed into the marriage hall (seats 250 people). She put my name on her invitation too! I couldn't believe it.

So, that morning I went to the hall and got in. All were dressed up in fancy satin saris – I wore the sari Swami gave me. As I went into the hall, I could see all my friends and hundreds of other devotees, sitting under the Darshan tree, far away, not allowed in. Some other foreigners got in, but just few VIPs. My friend Barbara helps out on all-day bhajan days singing, so she got an invitation too.

We got into the hall, I was like halfway back because the marriage party only, was supposed to sit in front. The stage was all decorated in flowers.

Finally the couple came - the bride and her family came in on the lady's side. She was all dressed up with jewels and flowers, plus a silk sari that Swami had given her. The groom came on the gent's side - he had a big white turban on and was dressed all in white. He was smiling and looking relaxed; she was acting like an Indian bride was "supposed" to act: eyes down, not saying a word, looking sad. A few minutes later Swami came. He was smiling and talking and looking excited like a father at his son's wedding! Well it is His son! :-)

When Swami came, we were asked to move up, as there was some empty space. I moved up...then there was a space way up in the front, and they asked me to move there! I was in the forth or fifth row – all around me was the family of the bride!

The couple took their place on the stage. They sat beside each other, in front of them was a small fire and plates of fruit, coconut etc. This is how an Indian wedding is done.

Swami had a chair on the men's side, He happened to be sitting right across from where I was – so I could stare at Him the whole time! :-) He was talking to those around Him, joking and laughing.

On stage, the priest was saying manthras and throwing raw rice into the fire. Then the groom and bride each threw rice too.

From His chair, Sai would object and shout to the priest, that he was doing something wrong or saying something wrong! The priest wouldn't understand, but then would correct himself. This is the Prasanthi Nilayam priest, who has done so many weddings in front of Swami, but still he isn't absolutely perfect! Swami still has to correct him.

After awhile Swami got up an went to the stage, and with three wide circles with His arm, made a "mangala sutra," a marriage necklace for the bride (they don't have rings in India, but a necklace that the bride wears). Sai give it to the groom to put it on the girl's neck. Then Swami pulled up His sleeve and held up His empty hand – and out poured rice! He kept throwing it onto the couple – on and on – with His arm kept up in the air. Then He went back to His seat and the ceremony continued.

Sai went up a few minutes after, and picked up a silk shawl and put it on the groom. Then part of it was tied to part of the bride's sari. Then both of them got up and walked around the fire, except the girl was leading the boy! Everyone laughed – even Swami! He shouted for them to turn around – motioning with His hands. Then they switched and the groom led the bride.

Swami finally went up again and gave huge smiles as group photos were taken – then He left.

Everyone got up and threw rice on the couple, and went up to the stage to hand them presents. They were smiling and talking.

As we went out, we got a prasad packet. On the front was painted, "With the Divine Blessings of Bhagavan Sri Sathya Sai Baba – wedding on 30-4-86." Inside was an orange, a sweet, red powder (kum kum) and betel nut-leaf, that you roll up and eat.

We waited around the hall, because lunch was to be served. Sai had been in the hall for 45 minutes, for the wedding.

After about half an hour, the wedding party was called inside to talk with Swami. Then Swami came out and followed by the wedding couple and party, went to the college hostel (next to the wedding hall). Sai was hosting them at their reception!

As Sai walked by us (we were right outside the hall), He looked then laughed and said, "You aren't all married! Who wants to be married? I will marry you!"

He went inside the hostel and us, the invitees, went inside the marriage hall for lunch. We sat in long rows from one side of the hall to the other, and ate off banana-leaf plates with our hands. We had two kinds of rice, two kinds of vegetables and chapatti, fried potato samosa, buttermilk, a yogurt salad and a sweet.

As we were eating, suddenly WHO should walk in the door, but Swami! We couldn't believe it!! He walked past us, looking at us, making sure we were eating! And there I was like everyone else, with my fingers in my rice! Sai walked from one side of the hall to the other, up and down the rows - then finally left by the back door, and went back to His house. A wonderful end to the special wedding. :-)

I hope your day will be just as happy and blessed! :-)

It's nice here – the night of the wedding there was a thunderstorm – that's supposed to be good – God's showering His Grace! :-)

Jai Sai Ram!

Much Love,

Eileen