Chapter Twenty-One: Serenade Me

Start from the beginning

Person after person went up and tried out for a role. Sarah tried out for Jojo and she did a fantastic job! Zach took a crack at Horton and made everyone laugh; in the good way. My name was called and I got in line. I felt my nerves build up as girls tried out for Gertrude. I wasn’t half as good as them and my energy was running low. I looked up in the risers to see Niall give me a thumbs up. Zayn spotted me looking at them and held his hands up in a heart shape. I smiled before it was my turn to go up there.

“Hi, I’m Christina Greenwell and I’ll be auditioning for the part of Gertrude,” I said nervously. “I will be singing Notice Me, Horton,” I smiled before taking a calming breath.

“My eyes are too small,

I have very large feet...

And I’m not very proud of my pitiful tweet,” I squawked and covered my mouth. The audience laughed and I felt my confidence build as the song progressed.

"Oh, notice me, Horton, feather by feather. 

This is your next-door neighbor calling!

Notice me, Horton. 

Horton, together, we could be great 

Oh, notice me, Horton 

Put down the clover! 

This is your next door neighbor calling. 

There's a new leaf 

Your neighbor's turned over.” I stopped singing and smiled before walking quickly back to my set, my face bright red. Everyone clapped as Abigail patted my knee. I smiled and looked down at my hands. My phone buzzed in my pocket and I checked it quickly- making sure the teacher didn’t see.

Zayn: You did wonderful babe!!!!! 

Niall: I have the coolest best friend ever! You did magnificent xxx

Liam: Harry would be proud! I’m proud :)! I hope we do Seussical because you’d make a great Gertrude! Just next time sing, Notice Me, Harry!

I rolled my eyes but had a huge smile on my face. I put my phone back in my pocket and looked at where my boys were sitting. I loved them to pieces. 

~

“Christina! Will you come in here?” My mother shouted. I sighed before closing my book. I hopped off my bed and trotted down the hallway.

“Yes?” I called as I rounded the corner.

“Get some shoes on.” My mother said as she came into my line of sight.

“Why?”

“We need to leave- now.” Louis said seriously. I didn’t question why he was here as I slipped on my vans. I didn’t even ask if I had time to change out of my loose v-neck and nike shorts. My hair was up in a messy bun and I had my glasses on.

“What’s wrong?”

“It’s... Harry...” Niall looked up from the ground, biting his lip.

“The plane...” Zayn rubbed his face with his hand.

I looked at the boys who were crowded at my front step. They all looked dejected and my heart lurched. Louis looked like he was on the verge of tears. What happened? I looked at my mom and she just nodded, signaling that I could go, as I ran out the door.