Four

Jack was very calm after I had explained I didn't know who he was. He forgave me for my lack of knowledge and just told me not to be rude to the man again. I wanted to comment more on that, but I held my tongue and just nodded. I might have only encountered the man twice, but during each encounter, he made my blood boil. The arrogance which emanated from him was overwhelming I almost always lose my cool each time.

After our chat, Jack gave me a lift back to Terry's apartment, since it was almost four in the morning. When I got inside the apartment, the sky had turned gray, signifying dawn. I was so exhausted I didn't bother changing my clothes and just crashed on the couch.

When I woke up, the sun's rays seeped through the window, blinding me momentarily. Then someone nudged me, taking me by surprise. In retaliation, I kicked the person, which resulted in a series of profanities.

"I didn't know you were so violent when being woken up," Terry said, his voice suddenly close to my ear.

I turned my head to the side, since I usually sleep with my face down on the pillow, and stuck my tongue out at him.

"Why are you annoying me? I just got home. Wait... What time is it?" I asked in alarm, quickly sitting up.

Terry studied me with his brown eyes, smirking at my comical movements. "You look funny. I never actually saw your 'just woke up' face," he said, looking amused.

"Don't worsen my already foul mood, Terry," I warned and glanced at the clock. "Shoot! I got to go!" I exclaimed, getting up as I frantically searched for my bag.

"Here's your stuff," Terry said as he held out my bag and jacket. "Do you need a ride? Or a shower perhaps?" he asked as he pinched his nose.

I looked at him severely for a second before getting a whiff of myself. I cringed at how I smelled. I reeked of beer (though I never drank last night), sweat, and a whole lot of other things. I smelled like someone who had a "rough" night. Glancing back at him, I gave him a grim smile and gestured for him to wait for a second. Shortly after, I sprinted to the bathroom to freshen up. When I had a look in the mirror, I jolted in surprise. I almost didn't recognize myself. Maybe I'm overreacting, but I think I looked like a caveman with my fuzzy hair and dark eye bags.

I sighed for a second before showering quickly. I brushed my teeth after and then tried hard to tame my hair. Lastly, I changed into fresh clothes. I managed to do all these under fifteen minutes. It didn't take long for me to be on the road.

I accepted Terry's offer this time around since it was already noon. I was already later than usual. During the ride, I prepared a bunch of excuses. It was quite difficult to convince someone who knows you inside and out, and could tell if you lied.

"Hey, Dad. Terry is with me today," I greeted him as I entered the room.

He was watching reruns again.

"Hi, Mr. Peterson. How are you today?" Terry said as he followed me inside, bringing a box of goodies as a gift. The truth was I bought those as a peace offering in case my alibi didn't go well.

"Terry! I'm doing good, son. How are you? Is my daughter behaving well?" my father asked, putting the television on mute as he turned to face us.

"I'm fine, Mr. Peterson. Andy is behaving like an angel, as always," Terry replied with a smile. The sarcasm in his voice was thick.

I looked at him for a second and rolled my eyes. "Dad, did Dr. Stanley finish his rounds already?" I asked, changing the topic.

"You just missed him," he replied casually, but he kept his eyes on me like he was studying me under a microscope. "Do you like him?" he asked after a moment.