Chapter 6- Truth

Author’s note: Welcome to the final chapter of ‘The deepest desire of our hearts’. I am so sorry it has taken so long to update! But I am really happy with the way this chapter has turned out, so I hope you all enjoy it too! Please remember to vote and comment when you are done (or now if you would like!), you know how much I love hearing from you all.

Also, an important note for those of you who are fans of my writing: I will be sending you all a message shortly about changes to my ‘writing strategy’ which will affect future projects and updates, so please fan me, if you haven’t already so you can receive those messages J Alternatively, please ‘like’ the facebook page I created for my fanfiction ponderings: Bumblebee_5n4p3. Feel free to leave me a message if you’d like; you know it would make my day!

In the mean time, Happy Reading!

‘The deepest desire of our hearts’

Chapter 6- Truth

Later that year…

Severus’ POV

The sharp, pounding pain in my neck was excruciating. I could feel the sting as Nagini’s venom seeped into my blood stream. I felt my still warm blood trickle down my neck and soak my robes. Within a second, I felt unbelievably weak and I knew it would be minutes before my life would end.

This would be a painful death.

Suddenly, Potter was standing in front of me… or at least, I thought it was him. My gaze was incredibly hazy; my focus was moving in and out of clarity. Although I hadn’t seen the boy in a year, I could still recognise his stature despite my blurry vision. Nevertheless, I chose not to say anything in case I was wrong. When the boy crouched down in front of me a moment later and I was able to see his face, those bright green eyes told me that I was right.

Potter.

I had hoped he would try to find me and here he was. I needed to give him my memories… I had no need to keep them a secret any longer. I did not want to die knowing that the truth would die with me; someone had to know what I had done and why.

This line of thinking motivated me to summon what little energy I had left to grab on to Potter’s sleeve. I used my weight to drag him towards me so I knew he was paying attention. Staring into his eyes, I could see he was terrified by my sudden action, from being apparently weak and helpless, to deceptively strong and determined. Nevertheless, there was also something in his eyes that made me feel he cared, that he was concerned for me; he too knew my life was quickly sliding away.

Unfortunately, I did not have the opportunity to place all of my memories into a vial in preparation for this moment. But I knew they needed to be given to Potter- now.

“Take it,” I begged of him in a moan, hoping he would hear how desperate I was for him to be prepared for what he was about to see. Closing my eyes, I forced myself to briefly relive the moments I wished Potter to see. I recalled those beautiful memories with Lily, as well as the necessary evidence that would convince the boy of my innocence, the vital memory Albus wanted Potter to see, and… my experience with the Mirror of Erised.

I ignored the horror in the boy’s eyes as he watched frozen, as silvery glistens of watery gas exited my body. I felt them leaving through my wounds for I had no wand with which to extract them. It was only with Miss Granger’s assistance that Potter managed to compose himself, and for once I was grateful for her intellect and quick thinking.

When he had them bottled safely in a vial Hermione conjured for him, I felt myself sink deeper into darkness; my job was done… I was free.

But I continued to watch the boy, silently hoping that he would have the chance to use the pensive before it was too late. I searched for his green eyes- eyes I knew so well. Unfortunately, I could barely focus on them; Potter was shaking slightly as he watched me. I briefly pondered what could be going through his mind, and ultimately concluded that somehow, he cared that my life would soon be lost. I never conceived that anyone would miss me, let alone Potter.