The Mute Mistress: Chapter 14

*This chapter contains sensitive content*

Chapter 14

As the sun fell, Nathan found Karina in the 'her' side of the master bathroom. She was seated at the vanity dabbing her ring finger over her eyelids.

"There he is, my ghost boyfriend," she sang. She leaned away from the lit mirror and smiled at him through the reflection.

"Leaving now?" he asked quietly, leaning against the sink across the room.

Pulling a small brush from a bag, she waved it over a box of color swatches. "Mhm. I can't remember the last time you watched me do my makeup."

"Where are you going?" he asked. He had a few guesses already. She was in a tight mini dress. She was either going out to a bar with her girls, another influencer party, or a lounge.

"To the Palm Lounge. Why? Are you coming with me?" She asked, turning around with a frown leaning towards disgust.

Nathan grumbled, "No."

"Aww poo." She pushed out her lips and leaned back into the mirror. "I almost thought it was a full moon or some shit making you want to be adventurous for once. But I do need to take the car since I'm not coming back here."

"Speaking of coming back, Karina... we need to talk about us." He rubbed his prickly chin, recalling the conversation with her father in the morning.

"Well, yeah. The award ceremony is three nights away."

"That's not what I wanted to talk about."

"Jesus Christ, Nathan. I don't want to go through another fake breakup right now. I'm meeting with my girls later. Not a good time."

"When is it ever a good time to break up?"

"Well, considering that I've been here for the last three days and you've been hiding at the Tower? Why do you think I called you a fucking 'ghost'?"

"Because I have a job." He pushed away from the counter. "Does it not bother you right about me wanting to break up? Huh, Karina?"

"No, because you're predictable, and that's one of the few things I like about you."

"Why were you even here for so long?"

"Umm, you live in a mini-mall and have help who speak English. Well... one speaks."

"Easy Karina." He threatened.

"Oh, I'm sorry. You're just such a nice millionaire who hires to meet the diversity quota. Now all you're missing is a baby and a Jamaican or Spanish-speaking nanny." She said before slinking out the door.

He followed her to the gallery stairs. "What do you like about me? The money?"

"Yes."

"The house?"

"I just said that a minute ago."

"Sex?"

She stopped in the middle of the flight and she said flashing her eyes open, "I mean... you haven't really been performing well in that category. It's been like four months, and I can count on my finger how many times you could stay hard. Do you need to fuck other people? I'm cool with that you know."

"No, I don't need to fuck other people, but do you?" He folded his arms.

"Yeah," she said, exaggerating the word with a wide mouth.

They continued down the stairs. "And have you?"

"With no one, you know. They were literal nobodies," she shrugged. "You don't sound or look mad about it."