Chapter 12 - Splitting up

Julia stood in the study, on the phone, trying to relax. Full report? It took a lot of note writing. Mostly that the kids were getting ready for school, all of them, that the poor fighters were requesting one parent per family to stay on the boat with them. That there was no obvious threat. And that they already had taxis booked. No emergency. A promise to call if there was one. That was it. No sightings yet of Oliver.

Then, although Susan hadn't specifically asked, Julia checked on Tim. Why the hell not? He didnt' seem surprised to hear from her either. Tim had found the vaguest scent trail of some of the fighters in the airport who'd gone missing, more or less, but not enough to confidently say that they'd gotten on a plane. So Julia would have to get the families of those missing fighters to check the cards. Cancel them even. That idea, Tim's idea, seemed pretty harsh. She hated the idea of stranding them in America when Kale was being a murdering psychopath, but then they'd have to ask for help.

Like Susan had said, she didnt' say yes or know, but just took information. Tim needed a fast answer. The others did too, Julia knew that, and she knew it'd be a busy morning.

Arms slid around her from behind as she stood there on the phone, Levi leaning against her back, kissing the back of her shoulder as she tried to take notes.

“You don't want me to go?”

“I don't want you to never come back.” Julia muttered. She felt his arms squeeze harder, hands tracing across her stomach, sides, his lips pressing against her shoulder again and again. “I don't want you to ...get hurt.”

“You haven't lost either of us. Oliver's done something stupid, that's all. He's not completely stupid. I'll come home. And I'll drag him behind me.”

Still, she felt afraid, afraid that she'd loose one or both of them. The very idea of that, the shock, the fear, the grief she already felt, it took her breath away. Julia had coped with her parent's death somehow. She wasn't sure how she'd deal with this too. And she knew he was trying to make her feel better.

“Sorry. I'm supposed to be brave, aren't I? Watch you go off and puff my chest out.” Julia smiled weakly, turning to face him, and he didn't smile back.

“Are we? You're the Alpha before you were ready, I'm leaving you alone, I don't really feel that happy about it.” Levi muttered.

She flushed at the words 'before you were ready'. “Yeah, I was supposed to be told when I was allowed.”

“No, you were supposed to decide you were ready on your own. I don't have much doubt you can do the job. Randy doesn't either. Oliver clearly doesn't, if he forced you to come out, but … he shouldn't have done that.” Levi growled softly. Both their heads swung back as the study door opened and Susan peered in. “Sorry, Mom. I just had to make sure she was okay.”

“I know. Julia, give me the notes, go help him pack. You've got one hour.” Susan smiled weakly. “No one would be shocked that the Alpha needs to say goodbye to her husband.”  

Before Julia could argue, Levi had grabbed her hand and dragged her up through the Pack Hall, his hand tight in hers, the two of them slipping back to their house. Levi pushed her up against the front door, kissing her hard, tugging a leg up around his head.  

Usually Levi was controlled, focused, and loved to tease her. This time there was nothing of that. It was almost like he was just as afraid as she was, his body hands almost tearing the PJs, and they made it as far as the daybed in the study. 

She lay under him after, eyes shut, panting for air. Levi was panting as much as she was, collapsed over her, her legs wrapped around his waist still. He was afraid too? She felt it, just a flicker of it, as he lay over her.