Chapter 15: Rise of the Rebellion

"I swear, Aqueela Lawson, you better be kidding or I will hurt you," Max says from in front of me, his brown eyes swirling up in irritation.

"It was a mistake, Max. I never meant for this to escalate out of control," I tell him truthfully.

"You're fake breaking up with me?" he asks in a dejected tone. 

I nod at his question. He needs to stay in his lane.

His hand clutches into a fist before it's sent flying in my direction.

I close my eyes and shield myself with my hands. "Just not the face! My face is my job! My face is my job!" I mimic CeCe from 'New Girl'.

"Sike!" I hear him laugh.

I peek through the gaps in my fingers to see that he's dropped his fist, a grin on his lips as he openly chuckles at my reaction.

"First off, your face is not your job, and second, did you really think I was about to punch you? Please. I would never get into a fight with an MMA champ. I am actually relieved because I don't want to do this MMA thing anymore either. You didn't have to do anything while I worked my backside off all day. For the coach, it is utterly exhausting," he explains, sympathizing with himself.

I am about to tune him that at least he didn't starve or be forced to cut class to train until his limbs felt on fire, but I decide against it, thanks to my better judgment - I didn't know I had any.

"Thank goodness, otherwise you'd leave me with no other option other than to punch the living daylights out of you," I threaten him.

Max smirks in delight and raises a challenging eyebrow upon hearing this. "You think you can take me?"

I hold my fists up in front of him in a boxer stance as I pretend to punch, bobbing up and down on the balls of my feet. "I don't think I can take you, I know I can take you. Square up and come at me, bro!" 

I just bro-zoned him.

Max holds his hands up in surrender. "Wow. Tame yourself. Don't unleash the beast on me. We cool? We cool? Or do I gotta activate stealth mode?"

"You wanna fight huh, you wanna fight, let's go!" I shout, circling him, ready to pounce and attack if necessary.

"Okay, that's it. I'm leaving before I lose an eye or a limb, and knowing you, probably something worse," he grins, clearly used to my simpleton antics. 

He leaves the room and I smile to myself. It's good to have the old Max back, the one that's crazy, but not so crazy to the point of being a psychopathic trainer. 

When he pokes his head back in through the door, I realize that I've spoken too soon. "Oh, and Aqueela, just because I'm not your trainer anymore, doesn't mean that you should stop watching those carbs," he winks teasingly at me.

If I could open a wormhole and have him drown in it, I would. He's the one who should lose little Max on his stomach over there. Food before dudes!

I roll my eyes at him before picking up the thing nearest to me, which just so happens to be a stapler. On impulse, I chuck it in his direction, except, he dodges it just in time. I'm forced to watch it fly past his head and hit Melinda in the face instead. 

Oopsies!

I gasp aloud, placing a hand over my mouth in shock. "Whoopsy daisy!"

I've really dropped the ball on this one...