Chapter Forty One: The Phone Call

Start from the beginning

            “So there’s no chance?” I finally squeezed out, not turning to face the nurse. I just kept staring at sleeping Nathan.

            “Don’t say that. Of course Nathan has a chance. There is just a lot going against him. But, he still has a chance.”

            I walked to the bedside then, taking Mr. Cross’ place who’d gone to comfort his wife in the corner. I heard the door close and knew that the nurse had dismissed herself. A bit later, the parents left. Now it was just Nathan and I.

            A strange feeling washed over me when I found myself staring down at my friend’s damaged body. He looked so peaceful, yet I knew a war was waging inside him. I couldn’t tell if he was winning or losing.

            My hands clenched around the metal bars to his bed and my throat was beginning to close up. I was close to tears.

            “Damn it,” I cursed. “Why wasn’t I there for you?”

            A rustling came from him and he let out a soft grunt. It sounded like a “hey”.

            “Are you awake?” I asked, ogling at him. “I thought you were dead for sure.”

            His eyes fluttered open and he looked up at me. Nathan looked smaller and his skin was colorless.

            “I’m not dead, you imbecile,” he whispered.

            We both gave a hollow laugh.

            “Surprised to see me?” I asked, a smile growing on my face.

            “Actually, yes. You’re the last person I was expecting. Please, take a seat,” he gestured toward a nearby chair.

            I scooted it over to his bed and took a seat.

            “Alright, let’s start in the beginning. How the hell did you end up in his hospital bed?” I started.

            He tittered a laugh. “Car crash.”

            “I know, I know. But how did you get in the car crash?”

            “Well, those two friends of Emma visited me and tried talking me in to getting Emma back from Florida. I turned them down, but realized my mistake. So, I decided to go after her myself and was about to drive down to Florida, but got hit by some idiot. I’m sure they’ve paid the insurance or whatever. But look where I am now. And it’s all for Emma,” he finished with a dark laugh.

            I cringed.

            “You’re not blaming this on Emma, are you?” I gulped.

            “No, no! It’s my own damn fault.”

            The room seemed to be rocking back and forth. I could feel my breakfast burrito rolling around in my stomach and knew that I couldn’t take much more of this. Somehow, I began tying Nathan’s predicament to myself. It was my fault he was here. It was my fault for making Emma leave.

            “So, you want Emma back?” I asked, my voice growing a bit small.

            “More than anything.”

            “I…I can do that for you. If it’s the last-,” I stopped myself before getting ahead of myself.

            Nathan gave me a look. I shrugged it off, taking out my phone.