Chapter 33

The next day I was in a fluster over what to make for dinner. I went shopping and brought way too much food, beer and wine. I had gone from wanting to make a full roast beef or chicken meal to wondering if I should just order a pizza. In the end I sat and waited... and waited... and waited.

I had convinced myself he wasn’t coming when the door knocked. It was him!

“Sorry, I’m late but a job ran over and I couldn’t leave some old dear without heating,” he kissed my cheek. “I’ve been fitting a kitchen all day and repairing a boiler at the last minute. I’m knackered. What have you made me to eat?” he teased.

“I got flustered and didn’t know what you wanted,” I shrugged. “Then I convinced myself you weren’t coming.” I embarrassed myself by getting a bit teary eyed. I had worked myself up too much.

“Come here silly,” he wrapped his arms around me. “I couldn’t call as I don’t have your new number,” he pressed his lips to my head and squeezed me extra hard. “Make sure I put it in my phone before I leave. Do you feel better?”

“Yeah, thank you. I think I just stressed myself out. I should have made you egg and chips, and told you to like it or lump it.”

“I love egg and chips so that would be great, thank you.”

“I am sure you want something better for dinner.”

“I’ll cook, you relax,” he heading off into the kitchen and washing his hands. “Your water is scolding, what the hell have you got that set on?” he walked over to check the boiler in the cupboard. Huffing as he flipped switches and turned dials. The boiler puffing into flame as he clunked about with it and ran the tap. The tap wasn’t the only thing turned on... watching him work was doing wonders for me too. I walked to the fridge and opened it to find something for dinner and to cool down as he had me all hot and flustered.

“We agreed I’m cooking,” he shooed me out of the way. “Oh my god did you buy the whole store?”

“I didn’t know what you wanted or liked or...”

“You got this for me!”

I nodded, “Well us, so we had a choice.”

“We’ll be choosing for a month with this lot.” He passed me things. “Spag bol is quick and easy! Open the wine and get a film ready while I do this.”

I stood there staring. Worrying about whether he thought I expected him to eat with me everyday. I had sort of hoped... well shopped in hope and now... god was it too presumptuous.

“Pour the wine,”

“Sorry, I was daydreaming,” I got the cups out and opening the wine.

“Use the wine glasses, not cups, honey,” he chopped and onion.

I tutted at myself.

“And grate some of the cheese,” he nodded to it.

I picked it up and stared into the cutlery drawer. I totally spaced, I couldn’t think of what a grater was. I knew it was black and silver but... I huffed.

“Stop stressing, relax,” he whispered behind me. I turned to cuddle him and clung on, closing my eyes and loving the warm musky smell of him after a day of work. It was replaced with the memory of hanging from those chains and wanting to hug him so badly. I squeezed him tighter as I tried to remember the positive thoughts in that dark time. I wanted to be free and cuddling James, here I was. I was free and in his arms.

“It’s ok, just relax,” he walked us into the front room. “You sit here and rest. I’ll cook.”

“I’ll have a power nap, if you don’t mind,” I felt exhausted. I hated the way it hit me all of a sudden. Brain injuries were so annoying.

“Lie down, I’ll wake you when it’s ready.” He pulled a blanket over me and tucked me in. I was out like a light.

When he woke me later I felt refreshed and ravenous.

“Wow that smells gorgeous,” I sat up to breathe it in.

“Are you feeling better?” he crouched in front of me.

“Yeah I just get tired quickly that’s all.”

“You shouldn’t be on your own.”

I shrugged. “I’m ok. I just get tired at this time of the evening.”

“Well you should have said not to come around. I would understand.”

“No, I want you to. You are the highlight of my day.”

He laughed. “And you are mine,” he kissed my head before going off to fetch the food.

“Mmmm,” it was delicious. “You can cook tomorrow too,” I said without thinking.

“Sure,” he reached for the remote to watch a film he chose. “I was thinking maybe French Country Chicken with mash and veg.”

“My mouth is watering already.” I was relieved he seemed as happy as I was to come around for dinner. I was getting to see him three days in a row. I felt like the luckiest person alive.

We filled our bellies, laughed at the pasta smiles staining our lips and happily stunk of garlic bread together. It was washed down with wine and topped off with cuddles on the sofa watching a film.

“Bliss!” I sighed out loud.

He pressed his lips to my head in agreement, a few minutes later he was asleep. I closed my eyes and joined him. He woke me in the early hours sneaking off as he tucked a blanket around me and left me on the sofa.