Chapter 19

"It's you isn't it?" Nole asked, desperate for a reply. The fact that the person wasn't responding was confirmation enough that it was indeed his disobedient little brother. He reached out for him, and when his hand finally fumbled onto one of Caden's small shoulders, he almost cried out in joy. "Caden, you're okay! We've been so worried. Suri misses you like crazy!"

The words were coming out a mile a minute, and he was no longer whispering. For that moment, he forgot about his back and all of the stress he was feeling. He didn't care about being wanted by the Enforcers, and pushed aside any thoughts regarding Taro, Betty, or anyone else from the apartment complex.

"Why are you here?" The emotionless tone in Caden's words wasn't out of character. Nonetheless, Nole was bewildered by his brother's attitude. Taking into account that Caden submitted intelligence of his presence at Murphy's shack, Nole still didn't feel a shred of anger toward his brother; not even for running away in the first place. All that mattered to him at that point was that he'd found him, and that he was okay.

"W-what do you mean? I came to get you," Nole defended. "I'm not mad about it, let's just go. We can talk about everything after we get somewhere safe." He clenched Caden's shoulders with both hands now. Even though they were in the same room, Nole was afraid of letting him go. He had chastised himself constantly ever since Caden had run away, so he wasn't going to be careless anymore.

Stumbling to his feet, he pulled Caden off of the bottom bunk and pulled him toward the doorway. He spied through the glass for any company and saw none. "I doubt we'll be able to make it out without them noticing, but we should be able to get away with the rain frenzy outside."

He placed one of his hands on the handle and slowly opened the door. It was as silent as before, yet he felt more nerve wracking. He had to get Caden out. He had to reunite what was left of his family. "No one's around," he observed, pausing at the opening.

"You're the murderer, aren't you?" Caden asked all of a sudden.

"What?"

"Why did you kill Murphy?"

"Are you serious?" Nole snapped, still whispering. He turned back to his brother, the light from the door now lighting Caden's soft features. His lips were pursed into a thin line and his eyes were locked on his older brother.

Nole sighed and contained his emotions before responding. "You really think that low of me? Listen, I know it looks bad, but I didn't-"

"They have proof."

"What proof? That's impossible because I didn't do it!" Nole seethed between clenched teeth.

"I heard the briefing. They found the murder weapon with your fingerprints on the handle." The news took Nole by surprise.

"No way!" Nole's whispers were becoming less and less like whispers. "It's obviously a setup. How can you be so naïve to think that I'd actually do something like that?"

"Where's Suri?"

"Don't change the subject Caden!"

"Is she okay?"

"She's better off than how you left her. How could you just abandon her like that anyway? After I told you guys to stay together, you up and left her. What if-"

"Did you do anything to her?"

It took Nole a few seconds to process the words, but when they finally sunk in, his entire attitude took a turn for the worst. Did I do anything to her? He thinks, he actually thinks I hurt her. No matter what I say, he thinks I killed Murphy, and he thinks I'm a monster.