02 | First Meeting

I was in pain. My head hurt, I think I broke my back, and Jesus Christ, what was poking my side?

With a groan, I picked up something cold and hard, blinking at the white thing.

Oh, it was only a bone.

...

A bone?

A small shriek came out as I threw it, scrambling to get up.

I stared at the floor, baffled. It was dirt, which was strange in of itself — I thought the bottom would be wooden or cement or something — but even stranger were the wooden walls. The wood looked new, like it was built within the last decade, barely any rot in the creases. Within my reach, a pretty, flourishing green vine was dangling over the edge at the top, swirly green leaves sticking out from various places.

My stomach churned.

Don't worry, Amaya. When you look up, I'm sure you'll see the shrine roof. You're just overreacting. Breathe.

I closed my eyes, took a breath, and looked up. When I opened them, I groaned.

Sky. Nothing but blue sky.

My stomach flipped, and I suddenly felt light-headed. I grabbed the vine, using it as leverage.

Why? That's the only coherent thought I could seem to form. Sota was never able to pass through the well, so why did I? What the hell was going on?

A bird perched itself on the edge and starting singing, bringing me out of the gush of questions and pulling me back to reality.

I took a deep breath, gathered my bearings, and tugged on the vine a little harder.

It seemed sturdy.

Using the vine as leverage and the wall as support, I climbed up, concentrating on my feet. I managed to make it to the edge without slipping more than twice – a new record.

Unlike the village image I had in my head, I was surrounded by forest, nothing but trees in my line of sight. They seemed to go on for miles.

Finding Kagome was going to be more difficult than I thought.

Using my arms, I pulled myself over the well's wall, somehow managing to slip on the dewy grass.

Of course. It wasn't enough that both my upper arm and cheek were bleeding, no, someone just had to make my butt sore as well.

With an irritated huff, I stood up, brushing off the dirt.

My eyes scan the surroundings, one tree in particular standing out. It was a little ways away, but huge, so big that I could see it above the rest. Other than that, and the well, there didn't seem to be anything too marking about this area, just your average forest.

Until I heard a high-pitched scream.

My head whipped to the sound. It was in the opposite direction of the sacred well, somewhere a good distance away.

They screamed again.

Groaning, I headed towards it, senses alert as I searched the forest with my eyes.

A little girl was running as fast as she could, black hair sticking to her face from sweat. She kept looking back, big, brown eye wide in horror when she saw some hog-looking animal still chasing her.

The hog creature raised a large hammer above its head, shaking it threateningly, kind of like grandpa does when the kids in the neighborhood make fun of his merchandise. "Come back," it snorted, "You look so tasty!"